twenty four

"Fine, fine, I'll see you there," I tell Amelia, her voice insisting I meet up with her at the event tonight. I have no urge to see her, considering her last attempt to talk to me was to meet for lunch. It may not have been a bad thing, but she wanted Harry to be there. All her motives are in the wrong place and I did not want to take that risk. She was not too pleased and for that, I was threatened by her that our father would not be too happy with how I talk to Amelia. She's his prized possession; I'm the mistake.

"Please wear something somewhat decent. I'm not picking it out for you, so if you look like a fool it will not be on me," she sneers, and I roll my eyes. If I had a dollar for every time I was made fun of or put down by any member in my 'family', I'd be a millionaire.

"Whatever. I'll see you tonight," I tell her, hanging up the phone. I saunter back into my room and take a seat next to Tiana on my bed.

"Ready?" she asks, my eyes scanning over the white dress. The women were told to wear white or silver. The men were told navy blue or black. From what Amelia went with, I chose the complete opposite. Hers is a short silver dress with a sweetheart neckline. I stuck with my usual: long white dress with a plunging neckline. These dresses always make my breasts look amazing.

"Ready," I smile, and Tiana begins her work to my hair and makeup. We barely talk due to Tiana's focus, but the music fills the room. I'm slightly nervous as this is the first event I've been to since my accident. The scar running down my forearm is a light pink and ragged looking, but none-the-less visible. Harry told me that I shouldn't worry, but I'm nervous people will judge me. I hate going to the events in the fear of being judged and talked about, but I've learned to stop feeling that way after a while. Now, it's back with my newfound skin deformity.

"Alright, Rhi. You look gorgeous."

I look at myself in the mirror and I smile, thanking her. Once I give her a hug, she helps me get into the dress and tells me she has to go. She kisses my cheek and heads out, my eyes taking in my appearance. My hair falls down my back in a light wave and my make-up is subtle.

When I have everything I need in my clutch, I lock my apartment and make my way downstairs. As I walk out the door to the building, I'm met with a sight that immediately brings butterflies to my stomach. Harry is leaning against the black car he drives, his hands in his navy blue pants pockets, and a bright smile on his face once he sees me.

I walk closer and he reaches out, taking my hand in his. His cherry lips press a kiss to the back and I'm tugged closer to him. He smiles down at me as he wraps an arm around my waist, tugging me fully against him.

"God you are so beautiful," he smiles, leaning down to set a kiss to my lips. The feeling I get soon makes my heart race, his head lifting so he can look at me. His eyes are so bright and I reach up to take his cheek in my hand, leaning to return back to our previous kiss.

When we are finally ready to enter the car, we are driven to the event. I'm a bundle of nerves only because being out with Harry is a big deal to me. I'm always trying to make sure I make him happy, but I know he's only looking at me. There isn't anyone else.

"Harry," I say, his head looking down as we walk up the stairs together.

"What is it?" he asks, my silence only due to my admiration to him. He has a soft smile on his face, his hand tugging me to the side once we reach the top of the stairs.

"Do you think there's a way we can be together tonight? I know you have a meeting tomorrow morning but I like it when you stay," I tell him, his eyes staying focused on my face the entire time. A soft smile still plays on his cherry lips.

"God, you're beautiful when you blush baby," he smiles, grabbing my cheeks to kiss my forehead. It's his thing; I've noticed he's particularly partial to the action.