Flowers

What happened from then on seemed to go in slow motion.

Blue's knees gave out beneath him and he fell, panting and wheezing desperately for breath while his fingers curled tightly around Cross' wrist. "C-Cross..."

"Nonono- Blue no, d-don't talk." He was full on panicking, looking all around him for anything he could use to patch up the wound. He tore everything out of his rucksack, yelling in frustration as he saw nothing that could help.

"Cross..." The smaller tugged at his arm weakly, catching his attention. "There's n-nothing you can do..."

"N-No Blue you cant die!" He cried, shaking his head and cupping the boy's head on his lap. "I-I won't let you!" Tears were forming in the corner of his eye sockets, making his vision blurry and drops run down his cheeks.

"It's okay..." He whispered, smiling softly. "You did all that y-you could..."

"No! I-I should have seen him sooner! I should have thrown the knife quicker!" He choked back a sob, gripping onto Blue tightly as if he'd die if he let go.

He shook his head meekly. "This still would have happened..."

"Don't say that!" He cried, fear spiking in his soul as he felt Blue's grasp on him slowly weaken. "B-Blue please..."

"You've h-helped me so much Cross..." He mumbled, staring up at him with those kind, blue eyes. "I-I'd never have got this far without you..."

Cross couldn't say anything in response, hiccups and gulps being the only sound he could make.

He shakily reached a hand up, cupping the taller's cheek with it and letting out a cough. "Y-You have to win this... For me, Cross... And y-your family..."

"B-Blue I cant!" He gasped, pressing the smaller's hand firmly against his wet cheeks.

Tears glistened in Blue's eyes as he nodded. "Yes you c-can... I know it..."

And then his hand lost its grip, slowly slipping from Cross' cheek and falling to the floor, his eyes dead and lifeless.

"B-Blue?" He stuttered, staring down at him. "Blue? No! Nononono- No Blue PLEASE!" He let out a scream of frustration, hot tears streaming down his cheeks as he cradled the boy's dead body, two cannon shots ringing out. One for him and one for Error.

Blue was gone.

Cross couldn't tell how long he sat there motionless for, staring blankly at the grassy floor in front of him with Blue's terrified screams echoing in his mind. He felt dull and numb, his body feeling fuzzy and useless. He didn't know what to do with himself.

Even though they'd only spent just over a day together, he'd grown incredibly attached to the small twelve year old. He'd actually started the stupid fantasy that maybe they could both make it out together. What a pathetic wish. Of course that wouldn't have worked. Even if they had made it to the final two - which was incredibly unlikely - one of them would still have to die.

Teaming up was worthless all along and he knew it. Deep down there was something itching at the back of his skull the whole time, yet he ignored it for the sake of having some company. And then he had to go and get attached. Well done Cross, you fuck up.

He'd just proved himself weak to everyone on TV. Weaknesses wasn't what the viewers wanted. They want strong and ruthless killers, not wimps that cry over a kid's death that they only knew for a day. He was pathetic.

Wiping his eyes weakly, Cross pushed himself to his feet and stared down at Blue's lifeless body. He couldn't leave him like that. He just couldn't.