8 - drunk

I had just stepped out of the shower when Calum called to tell me that he was already on his way. It was barely six thirty.

“Dammit,” I said to myself, tugging my jeans up my hips. “Whatever happened to men always being late?”

I was drying my hair when I heard my door open and close. I turned off the hair dryer and walked into my room, opening my mouth to greet him. Instead of seeing Calum standing there awkwardly as always, I saw Ashlee sprawled out on my bed.

“Can I help you?” I asked, rolling my eyes.

“How was your day with Calum?” she questioned, looking up from the screen of her phone.

“Fine,” I said hesitantly, wondering if she had a hidden agenda.

“Are you hanging out with him tonight too?”

“Yes. He's on his way now,” I told her before returning to the bathroom.

“Oh? What are you doing with your hair? What about make-up?” she quizzed, following me into the bathroom.

“Straightening it. Not sure yet. We're going to a party, so it doesn't really matter,” I said, running the straightener over my hair.

“Of course it matters! A party is hook up central! You could make him jealous somehow, then he'd really want you. And I think a push-up bra would work wonders for you.”

“I really don't care, Ashlee,” I informed her, my temper starting to run a bit short.

“Well, why not?” she pressed on. She pulled herself onto the counter, swinging her feet idly.

“Because I didn't come here to find love, to get a boyfriend, or to get laid. I came here to put on a fake smile and pretend that I'm okay with the fact that you're marrying the guy I dated for three years, I guy that I was in love with Ashlee” I spat at her before I could stop myself.

Her expression changed and she looked hurt. I let out a sigh but didn't apologize, simply because there was no need for me to do so. I finished straightening my hair in silence and Ashlee stayed put. As I finished my make-up, Ashlee looked over at me.

“You're not okay with me marrying Luke, are you?” she asked quietly.

I scoffed, closing my make-up case. “Why would I be? Why would anybody be okay with that? You've only been dating for a few weeks, how can you possibly be 'in love'?”

“I don't know, but we are,” she responded defensively. “I thought you'd be happy for me, Carsyn!”

“Ashlee, you and I both know that this entire wedding shit is just another reason for the entire world to revolve around you. You don't love each other, it's lust.”

“What would you know about it anyway?”

“Sis, I was in love with Luke for two and a half years. I know what I'm talking about.” To my relief, I heard the honk of Calum's horn. “I'm leaving, so get the fuck out of my room,” I snapped at her, grabbing my bag and starting down the stairs.

“What's up with you?” Calum asked when I climbed into his car, slamming the door behind me harder than I should have.

“Can you just drive?” I asked, my voice sharp as I fastened my seat belt.

“You got it,” he said, offering a smile.

As he pulled away from the curb, I cranked the stereo volume up, running a hand through my hair with a sigh. The music of Sleeping with Sirens filled the car.

“Are you okay?” he asked, minutes later, turning down the volume again.

“Yeah,” I said, staring out the window.