Chapter 4. Changes

The first indication that something was strange came when Harry managed to bang his head on a low beam as he headed to the bathroom during his normal morning routine. Some of the taller boys were always walking into it, but up until the moment he hit his head he had never had any trouble. After all he had always been short. In his half-asleep state, he put it down to Hogwarts rearranging itself again and went about what he always did.

After cleaning his teeth, washing his face and careful consideration in the mirror, he decided he needed to shave. His facial hair was still sparse, but with very dark hair and pale skin the need still arose quite often. There were charms that could be used to take care of the problem, but Harry was more comfortable with the Muggle method.

When he reached for his razor he had to stretch to the shelf and something ripped. That woke him up completely and he looked down at himself for the first time. His wrists were sticking out the end of his pyjama sleeves as if he was wearing a pair two sizes too small, as were his ankles, and the cotton felt tight in several places.

It took him less than a minute to make it back to the dorm at which point he slammed the door loudly. Neville had been the only other boy awake, but the other three all sat up at the loud noise. Four pairs of eyes looked directly at Harry and he glared back.

"Whose idea of a joke is this?" he asked pointedly and indicated his attire.

Seamus laughed immediately, losing the frown he had affected at being woken up.

"Did the house elves mix up your PJs with the second years, Harry?" the Irish Gryffindor asked, clearly not having any self-preservation instincts.

"They were perfectly all right when I went to bed," Harry said. "Would whoever shrank them please just undo the charm, I've ripped them already and I'd rather they didn't fall apart."

Seamus' laughter had cut through the anger that had caused him to storm up the stairs, but he was not really in the mood for games this morning. His four dorm mates all looked at each other and no one stepped forward.

"Wasn't me," Seamus promised when everyone looked at him and the others nodded in agreement.

"If it wasn't one of you, who could have done it?" Harry asked, believing his friends, but at a loss to explain his current state of dress.

The others all shrugged, and Harry wandered across the room with a frown on his face. Surely someone couldn't have entered the dorm without anyone seeing, and time coded charms were more difficult than people usually used for a lark.

"Um, Harry," Ron said as he passed his friend's bed and Harry stopped, "are you sure it's the pyjamas that have shrunk?"

Harry looked at his friend blankly for a moment and then down at himself, the question took him completely off guard.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

Ron climbed out of bed and moved to stand next to him, at which point Harry blinked in surprise. His normal eye line on Ron was about chin level, but now he was clearly looking at the bottom of his friend's nose.

"Mate," Ron said with a puzzled little frown, "you've grown."

For a moment Harry just stared stupidly at his best friend.

"No way," he said eventually.

He moved to the side of his bed quickly and stood next to one of the posts. He'd been measuring himself against it for years hoping that one day he would grow, but this was just crazy.

"I cannot have grown two inches overnight," Harry protested as he looked at the evidence.

Seamus and Dean both climbed out of bed to walk across the room after which Neville wandered over as well.