Chapter 13. Bad to Worse

It had gone from a not great day to a really bad day and Harry was very unhappy. Not only was he obsessed with Malfoy, but now there was a fifty-fifty chance that his Slytherin nemesis would go into heat fully with him as the target.

With both of them going after each other the likelihood of them ending up sleeping together was very high and Harry did not even want to consider the five percent probability that Malfoy had mentioned. Fathering a child by Malfoy was definitely not on his to-do list. To top it all he had shredded his favourite jumper and his winter cloak and thanks to the fact that his wings had done so magically the garments were refusing to be repaired by any spell.

He walked into the Gryffindor common room feeling understandably depressed as well as still aching in every muscle and found everyone staring at him. With certain dread he knew his day had just gone from bad to worse.

"Um, Harry," it was Colin Creevy who summoned the courage to speak, "about the wings."

He had been seen. Someone had seen him save Malfoy and Harry knew without a doubt that the whole school would have been informed by now. Not caring who was in the room the golden boy of Gryffindor proceeded to swear in the most colourful way he knew how for a good twenty seconds, and then stormed towards his dorm. As he reached the tower steps he turned and glared at the shocked faces.

"Just to stop the questions; one of my ancestors was Seraphim," he announced loudly so everyone could hear, "and Voldemort's final laugh is that because of his power I get wings. If that's not freaky enough I'm in heat and I'm obsessing over Draco bloody Malfoy who hates me with a passion that is second only to how the Dark Lord himself used to feel about me. My life is a nightmare and I think I'm going to lock myself in my room and never come out ever again."

He turned and ran up the stairs three at a time.

"He's in a good mood," someone said quietly, but with his overactive senses Harry picked it up.

"I heard that!" he bellowed down the stairs and then marched into his dorm.

He was very glad to find it empty and slammed the door dramatically, after which he pulled out his wand and threw a locking charm at it that had so much power behind it, about the only person who would be able to make it through was Dumbledore. If his dorm mates wanted in, they were going to have to persuade him to open it.

~*~

"Potter!" Malfoy's voice rang out across the Great hall as the Slytherin came charging through the door. "Prepare to die a very painful death."

Harry turned from where he was about to sit down and decided that Malfoy was probably serious since Malfoy had his wand in his hand. Just in case he reached into his sleeve and pulled out his own wand. The pupils in between the pair scattered to either side. Malfoy's anger answered the question as to whether Poppy's treatment had taken, it obviously hadn't.

"I'm going to eliminate my problem before I can't think anymore, and I don't care if I have to spend the rest of my life in Azkaban."

Malfoy really was very annoyed.

It occurred to the back of Harry's mind that Poppy had specifically said Malfoy should go straight to her if the treatment did not work, but the part-Veela appeared far too angry for that.

"I'm sorry," Harry shouted back as anger warred with desire, "you were about to be struck by lightning, what was I supposed to do?"

"Cast a shield charm, leap in front of me," Malfoy snarled and waved his wand menacingly, "but I thought I made it very clear you were never to touch me."

That was just so unfair that anger won again.

"I had less than a second to act," Harry protested loudly, "if I'd gone for my wand, you'd be crispy on the edges and there was no time to get off the ground."

They were no more than two meters apart now and Malfoy was pointing his wand directly at Harry's chest. He couldn't help noticing that his adversary's grey eyes almost shone when he was angry. Disgusted with himself and trying to clear his head of any such ideas Harry took a deep, calming breath.

"Let me make it absolutely clear," Malfoy said in a very dangerous tone that Harry found strangely sexy, "if you lay one hand on me, I will rip it off."

Cursing every deity under the sun Harry gave up on anything resembling calm and tried for simply not grabbing Malfoy there and then.

"You think I like this any better than you do?" he replied. "It's not my fault you picked a bloody stupid place to talk when there was a storm coming in."

His problem was, part of him liked the idea of ripping Malfoy's clothes off very much and it seemed to be gaining more of his brain's attention.

"Oh, so this is my fault now is it?" Malfoy shot back furiously. "If you hadn't accosted me after the match, we wouldn't have been talking in the first place."

Without his conscious consent Harry took a step towards Malfoy and had to restrain himself from moving any further.

"I was trying to warn you," he said pointedly. "If I hadn't talked to you, I wouldn't have known I was not supposed to touch you and I could have done the same thing in Potions without even knowing it. I'm sorry, okay, but there's nothing I can do about it now; it was an accident."

"You're one big walking accident, Potter," Malfoy returned and moved forward again.

A slightly pained expression crossed the Slytherin's features and Harry was almost sure Malfoy was having the same problem thinking straight as he was. The attraction was palpable, and he suddenly realised that being in the same room as Malfoy was a really bad idea.

"Malfoy, magical fields interact," he said trying to think logically for one minute, "one of us should leave; now."

By the time he finished his tone was a little strangled. Malfoy swore and tried to turn, but only managed a look away before he snapped back.

"I should have killed you already," the part-Veela bemoaned and closed his eyes in desperation.

Harry just about managed to keep himself in the same place as a surge of almost unstoppable lust ran through him. They were definitely interacting now. Both in heat and neither of them could break away.

"Goyle," Malfoy called to his companion urgently, "get me the hell out of here this instant."

Harry's wing nubs twitched as the wall of a boy moved to do as Malfoy told him; the part of him that was rapidly gaining control did not like that idea. It was as if the primeval part of his brain had woken up and was taking over, leaving his rational thoughts to sit at the back of his mind and kill time. He knew without a doubt that if something didn't happen soon. the pull of his instincts would be too much for him. Harry Potter jumping Draco Malfoy in the Great Hall for everyone to see was not how he wanted to go down in Hogwarts history.

When Goyle reached out to take hold of Malfoy's shoulders Harry's wand hand flicked as if it had a mind of its own and the broad Slytherin went sliding backwards. Harry had not even used a spell.

"Malfoy," he said in a desperate voice, "stupefy me, blast me, anything; just don't let me get to you or we will both regret it."

Malfoy's features hardened in concentration, but all he managed to do was take another step forward.

"I can't," he admitted and looked slightly afraid.

Harry felt as if his whole body had been ripped from his control and he moved so they were nose-to-nose. He wanted to flare out his wings and show how strong he was; he wanted to sweep Malfoy into his arms; and it was so hard not to.

"If you get me pregnant, Potter," Malfoy hissed at him in no more than a whisper, "I'll do worse than Cruciatus."

They were millimetres apart now and the pull between them was almost painful. Harry heard the sound of someone casting the stupefy hex and his wings almost flared in response, but for one moment he managed to claw onto his self-control. It only took a fraction of a second before it was too late, and he felt the blast hit him from the side. Eternally grateful to whoever had acted, Harry slid into unconsciousness.