Frontline

"Experience is the teacher of all things."
~Julius Ceasar
__________________________________________________

Frontline

Blaze

Another day, another mission. 

I shuffled into the briefing room, taking a seat next to Chopper and not saying a word. I'd had a not-so-nice conversation with the Base Commander after the mission yesterday that still pissed me off. Perrault had the audacity to criticize us for going after the bombers instead of listening to our AWACS and focusing on taking out the cruise missiles. I proceeded to point out to him that by shooting down the bombers, that not only did all cruise missiles stop, but we destroyed the cruise missiles that had been fired, and none had hit the mass driver. He reluctantly shut up, refusing to acknowledge I was right. He simply warned me to "listen to my superiors better than my predecessor." I nodded but had no intentions of actually doing so.

Noticing my dour mood, Chopper placed his hand on my thigh and asked, "What's going on?"

None of my wingmen knew about my heated discussion with Perrault. I wanted to calm down over the situation and the insult myself before telling them because I knew they'd be just as upset that someone who wasn't even there was criticizing our decisions.

"I'm just ticked off at some top brass." My eyes flicked over to the Base Commander, and I could feel the disgust etching itself onto my face. "Tell you later."

"All right. Hey, I have a question." Chopper leaned in and whispered, "How many donuts do you think that man eats in a day? One dozen? Two?"

" Chopper leaned in and whispered, "How many donuts do you think that man eats in a day? One dozen? Two?"

"My guess would be two. He's probably in a foul mood because we're keeping him from them," I added, biting my lip to prevent myself from giggling. Leave it to Chopper to make me laugh when it's the last thing I thought I would do.

"I bet he has cookies and candy too. You know, come to think of it, I always wondered where the leftover dessert goes. I think I have an idea now."

I pursed my lips, narrowly avoiding bursting out laughing. "We're so going to hell for this."

He shrugged. "It'll only be hell if he's there."

"You people are like the plague, you know that?" Perrault barked, commanding everyone's attention. "The moment you return to Sand Island, this happens."

I lowered my head so Perrault wouldn't see my eye roll. Yuktobania attacking us again wasn't our fault, and you know what? He was damn lucky his top fighter squadron was back to help defend Sand Island! 

The briefer continued his tradition of clearing his throat before speaking. "A large combined force of Yuktobanian vessels and aircraft has been detected advancing in the ocean directly toward Sand Island from the west. Our intelligence has confirmed the presence of amphibious assault ships within the oncoming fleet. We believe the enemy's goal is to conduct a landing operation on Sand Island and capture this base. Close with the enemy, disrupt landing operations and suppress their naval gunfire directed at our forces ashore."