Perfect

"Alex, hurry please! It's already 11!" John whined.

"John, baby, I'm excited too. But the center is only 15 minutes away. We have an hour before we need to leave." Alex told him.

"I know, but what if the traffics bad?"

"Baby, it's fifteen minutes usually. Usually, traffic is terrible."

"Okay, well I'm going to make sure the car seat cover is on right again."

John and Alex were getting ready to go and sign the final documents. They were adopting a baby today. Everything was ready, a diaper bag was packed, and the car seat was ready. The only thing left to do was wait.

"Baby, I'm done," Alex called. "And no, we aren't leaving yet."

John walked into the bedroom with a frown. "I'm just so nervous."

"What are you nervous about?"

"What if the baby hates us?"

"John, the baby won't hate y-"

"What if," John paused. "What if they change their minds?"

Alex wrapped his arms around John. "No, baby, no. They can't. They cannot do that. Do you hear me? John?"

John nodded and gripped Alex tighter.

"Now, let's eat something, then go get our child."

One Hour Later

"Can we go now?" John begged as Alex finished his plate.

"Yes, John. We can go." He smiled.

Alex grabbed the car seat, John the diaper bag, then they pressed the elevator button. While waiting, they grabbed each other's hands and didn't let go until Alex hailed a cab outside.

"New York Family Steps." Alex told the driver.

...

"Have a good one!" The cab driver said as he pulled off.

Alex put up his wallet and turned to face the agency building. John was already frozen beside him.

"We are here to start the rest of our lives." Alex whispered. "So let's do it."

Alex expected himself to be way more nervous than John, but as they walked inside the building he could tell that his husband was far more worried.

"Alex, John, great to see you." A woman stood waiting for them just inside.

"Marlene." Alex grinned and shook her hand.

John nodded politely, still shocked that this was actually happening.

"If you two will follow me, you don't have to sign anything just yet. We realize that you are very anxious to meet your child."

"Oh, very much so." Alex agreed.

"Great, well, the children are only brought here on adoption day. Your baby is behind a few more doors. If you'll just follow me..." Marlene led them down a hall and through another waiting area to a room full of cribs.

Through a window into the room, they could see that only one crib was occupied. Above it stood a woman who nodded towards Marlene, then reached down and grabbed the infant from its bed. The baby's entire body was covered by a blanket, but you could see one little balled up fist reaching for the workers face and she held it against her chest.

"Alex.." John's voice was full of love.

Alex did not reply, but instead entwined his fingers with John's.

The woman reached the door and opened it, and immediately they heated the cooing of the alert child.

"Would you like to?" The woman gestured at the baby and John nodded, reaching out his arms.

"Okay then. Here's your son."

"Hi baby. I'm your daddy." John whispered with a smile, his eyes brimming with tears.

Alex leaned his head over Johns shoulder, staring at the infant boy. He had thick, dark, and curly hair. He had alert brown eyes, and rosy lips and cheeks. And under his right eye, parallel to the top of his nose, he had a faint little freckle. The baby smiled with his gums and then became preoccupied with John's bright green shirt.

"He's perfect." Alex said softly, and John nodded in agreement.

"You can hold him while we sign." Marlene smiled.

"What are you naming him?" The other woman asked.

John and Alex looked at each other and then told her in unison:

"John Henry."