Prologue

She was a nameless, formless soul.

Nothing more, nothing less.

---

"Welcome, defective female lead. I'm G.o.D."

After childbirth, Bai Chen Rong's son was taken away from her, along with the father of her child.

She didn't get to say one final goodbye.

She didn't even get to hold her son.

Before the cup of poisoned wine kissed her lips and claimed her breath.

She was unwilling! Too unwilling!

But she was also helpless.

Now, she was in a dark place where she couldn't even see her own hand.

But she doubted if she even had one.

She was dead.

So this place... could only be a place where the dead went.

The only source of light around here was the faint glow coming off the person in front of her.

A defective what?

Bai Chen Rong had no physical body. Therefore, she had no mouth or vocal chords but her thoughts were somehow perfectly conveyed to the being.

"I said: defective female lead." The being with crimson hair flowing down in tresses beneath his feet had a delightful voice.

It was as though he was singing verses even if the words coming off his lips were unpleasant.

"You're the favorite daughter of that plane but you still ended up in a not so happy ending." He chimed with his song-like utterance.

Bai Chen Rong was furious. This person was clearly mocking her!

The pain she had to go through was unbelievable. Even in death, she could feel the throes of suffering she left behind on her husband and son.

She had no place to vent her grievance for everything happened because of her. She could only collapse on herself.

"See? This is one proof of your defect. Once a soul leaves the physical body, it should also leave all of the attachments it has for the world. Average souls shouldn't feel anything but lightness upon death. But the plane you left behind was disappointed by the chosen daughter so the resentment clung to your soul."

The being's lips had a faint arc. He was too carefree, never belonging to any world to give a damn about tact.

"In fact, you already know about the things I say but you don't want to admit."

The sound was music to the ears but the gloating was very apparent.

If I'm the so-called chosen daughter of that world, then why did this happen to me?

She went on and asked.

"Simple. You were chosen by that world but does it mean the whole universe and what lies beyond, also chose you? Only one of the many planes gave you the advantages of being the favorite child. Sadly, you didn't cooperate with the universe. That plane picked you to have a happy ending with the love of your life but happy endings are very subjective."

The being spoke in mystical words but she somewhat understood what he was saying.

She could've chosen to be happy with Xia Yu Heng even without the throne. That was also a happy ending.

Then, that woman. What was she? Did she know about me?

Something that had been nagging her all this time.

"Ah Yin Hua Lei, that child. She was supposed to be the villainess you know?"

She faintly saw this coming but...

Supposed?

"She should've done all she could to kill you and ultimately fail. Therefore having herself killed along with her family... If she had stayed being blindly in love with your prince, she could've been the stepping stone for you and your prince to be the parents of that empire."

The crimson-haired being was clearly enjoying this but she didn't know why. She didn't even know why she was believing him.

What changed then?

"Eh? Some deity wasn't satisfied with the plot so he gave a lil boost to Xiao Lei to test the main leads."

He wasn't going to tell her that deity was none other than him, nope!

Chen Rong couldn't help but feel aggrieved.

So that's what it all was.... A game. Life's just a form of entertainment for you deities huh?

"Woah there, getting angry now? Defective female lead-chan, even if that deity sided with Xiao Lei which was take note: only a one-time event, the world sided with you all your life in that place. So what if she stopped attempting to kill you? Was she the one to tell you to court death by plotting against a living and quite a capable emperor?"

She couldn't answer that.

"There's a saying in my hometown. Even the sisters of Fate don't know the future for sure. It's largely because humans are given free will by the Origin."

What am I doing here?

The being's smile turned wicked.

"I told you, you're defective and I am G.o.D. One of my duties is to supervise defective souls like you."

'...'

"Since you don't have the heart to answer.... Hahahaha~ Get it? You don't have the heart because you're in soul form! God, that was funny!" He laughed at his own joke while clutching his stomach and slapping his thigh.

The deific aura seemed to diminish.

He even didn't care that Bai Chen Rong was only watching him wipe his laugh tears.

"Okay~ Back to business... Being the favorite child of a plane, your life mission was to get a happy ending but you failed. The plane invested its life force in you. When you failed, you also took that life force away...

Ha! You don't have to know the specifics. You just need to know that your soul has a natural process of giving that life force back after several lifetimes."

It was too much to remember. She didn't get it one bit.

"In simpler terms. You will incarnate to different planes until your soul pays the life force you owe from that plane. This is a kind of punishment as you will retain all your memories from your home plane Earth, second plane Da Xia and the next planes you will live in."

The being with supernatural beauty and temperament curved his lips in what was supposed to be a benevolent arc. But Chen Rong didn't buy it one bit.

"This is how you will repay your karmic debts. I am G.o.D."

You said that for the nth time.

"It's because you're not asking what it stands for~"

Chen Rong wanted to roll her eyes but she had none. She was only a sentience. A miserable sentience who had no time to ask the meaning of his name.

But G.o.D. didn't consider her feelings at all as he looked at her expectantly.

It seemed she wouldn't get out of here if she didn't give in.

Okay. What does it stand for?

G.o.D. laughed, the melody could make anyone swoon.

But his laugh suddenly morphed into something sinister. Bloody miasma slowly enveloped his finely sculpted body. The pastel red robes turned vermilion. His crimson hair billowed with an unfelt wind.

A voice seemingly whispered viciously oh so close to her even if she wasn't corporeal, "God of the Damned."

And then there was nothing.

---

Media source: https://pin.it/44igaxticwz2uv