01 | audition

I once again glanced up at the sign-up sheet for the New Directions, only to find it the exact same as yesterday.

Blank.

I sighed in frustration. Being in the glee club honestly wasn't the worst thing in the world, even if it meant having the occasional slushy facial.

I snapped my head to the right at the sound of Finn's voice. "Still nothing?" he asked hesitantly. I nodded in response.

Finn groaned and placed his hand on his forehead. We both knew very well that if we didn't get enough performers before sectionals, we were in big trouble. I turned my head to face Finn and proceeded to walk to the choir room. "Do you think we can convince anybody? There are a couple of new students in your year. I'm sure at least one of them has talent," I chirped.

It seemed as if Finn had already given up on the lookout for new recruits. "I hope so, but there's such a little chance. And even if they are talented, what makes you think they'll want to ruin their social status?" he questioned. I swung open the door to the choir room and took my regular seat at the back.

"I honestly don't know, but we have to try." I said optimistically. Finn stared at the ground for what felt like forever until he finally spoke.

"There's a new guy on the football team. Maybe you could help me convince him to join the club?" begged a hopeful Finn. I groaned, I did not want to have anything to do with boys after the entire 'Chad' situation that went on last year.

"You're supposed to be my best-friend!" I huffed annoyedly. "Not trick me into talking to other guys!"

Finn grunted. "Come on, Isabella, It's been ages since Chad. You have to get over him!" I shook my head in denial. I did not have to put myself out there to prove I was over a douchebag.

"Nope. Absolutely not." I refused groggily. It was way to early to deal with this. "And guess what, I'm not helping you now!"

He grumbled in anger and frustration, as I leaned on his shoulder in attempt to nap.

I jumped at the sound of Artie's hands clapping in my face. "Isabella, we need you to focus!" fumed a disappointed Artie.

I rolled my eyes. "What, it's not like we have anything to practice for! We don't even have enough people to compete at sectionals," I argued. The group sighed, knowing that although what I said was harsh, was right.

Mr Schuester pointed at me. "That's exactly the kind of attitude that won't help us win sectionals." he preached. "We will have a full team by the end of the week."

I rolled my eyes hoping he didn't see. I knew I was wrong the second I looked up at him to find yet again another disappointed face.

The real reason I was so unhopeful? The humiliation. Having to show up to school yesterday only to have the one and only obnoxious Jacob Ben Israel shove a microphone in my face, not only reminding me of the glee club losing at regionals last year, but the endless questioning about Chad and what went down between the two of us.

The annoying boy stood in front of me and I tried to walk down the hall. "Isabella, what do you have to say for the Cheating Chad rumours?" challenged Jacob. "Or was it you that cheated? Or was it you that found him hooking up with a mistress in your own bed?" I stopped and gave him a death stare. Where were these outrageous claims coming from?

The regurgitating curly haired boy started up again by repeatedly pushing the microphone in my face. "Or did yo—" I couldn't stand it anymore, so I cut him off by grabbing the microphone and throwing it across the hallway, ripping the chord.