Chapter Two

I had just gotten home and was walking in the front door when my chocolate brown labrador retriever, Sparkles had just jumped on me.

"Hey girl! Did you miss me?", I said while petting her ears. 

"Give me some love, puppy!"

        Then she just tackled me down to the ground and bathed me with her tongue. I looked at my clothes and noticed that her course, brown hair was clinging to my white shirt the way my brother's expensive metal watch is attracted to the chain on his jeans. I guess he always thought of himself as "cool" or "rad". I always thought of him as a punk. He would always sneak out of the house after everyone went to bed. I would eavesdrop on his phone calls talking about whatever he did the night before. Whether it was stealing drugs, going to parties, or even hooking up with girls. I always thought of him to be my brother, not some cheating, lying, fraud. At least, that's what my friends think of him.

        I was going up the steps that lead me to my bedroom. I opened the door and instantly felt relief as I set my bookbag down, which must have weighed a ton. I closed the door and stretched my whole body across my bed. I never knew that school could be so exhausting! I couldn't even retain half of what the teachers said. It was like listening to an annoying song on replay. Over and over again. I knew I had to go again tomorrow and listen to that boring song play, but it's a whole lot better than having to stay home with nothing to do all day

        I finally got up after twenty minutes of resting, and checked my phone. I had a message from a number that I didn't recognise. 

"Hey Winter, like the season! How are you?"

        That led me to one conclusion to who sent that message. It was from Mitch! He's the only one that has called me that since I told him my name.

"Hey! What's up?", I replied.

"Nothing much. Do you want to call me?", he asked me.

       Without thinking to reply back, I just dialed his number and hung on to the sound of the phone ringing.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Mitch!", I said back.

"How are is a pretty girl like you doing?"

        When he called me pretty, the word lingered in my mind and I could not stop smiling. Replaying that moment over and over in my head. Pretty girl like you. Pretty girl like you. Pretty girl like-

"Hello?", he asked.

"Oh, sorry. I umm, was doing something.", I said while still trying to sound cool.

"Oh. What were you doing?"

"I was uhh, picking out my clothes for tomorrow for school." I said, panicking for something to say.

"Cool. What are you wearing tomorrow?", he asked. I could hear the sounds of his video game in the background.

"Probably this grey shirt with some pink pants and a black and white checkered scarf.", I replied, while scrambling to find that outfit, so I wouldn't be lying.

"That sounds really cool."

"I guess. So what are you doing right now, Mitch?"

"I'm playing Watch Dogs, with my buddies online. What are you doing right now, Winter?", he asked me.

"I'm writing some lyrics that I came up with.", I said, moving towards my writing table.

"What kind of songs? Pop, rock, country?"

"I like to start it as a poem. Then sing it in a rhythmic way, and see where it takes me from there.", I answer. "But, mostly pop."

"That's pretty cool. I write music myself, you know. Like a mix of pop and rock.", he told me. "I also play the piano and guitar.", he said.

"That's pretty sweet", I said. "Yeah, I play intruments as well. I play the violin, flute, piano, drums, guitar, and I sing." I said.

"That's awesome! We could probably hang out and work on some music together.", he offered.

"That sounds good, Mitch.", I said.

"Well, my mom is calling me. I should go. I'll see you tomorrow?", he said.

"Sure!", then I hung up the phone.

        When he told me that we should hang out, that made me think about what would happen. See, I like to act out the possible outcomes of what could happen. I sat on my bed and pretended it was his. When we would be at his house. He would look at me with a smile and say that I'm beautiful or something. I would look at him with a smile and thank him and he would lean in and kiss me like in those movies or something. But it's not like that would happen. I mean, we just met today. And those few minutes that we talked, were the best few minutes of my life. I felt as if I wasn't afraid to do anything anymore. Nothing could hurt me. I felt invincible. 

        I heard my mom call my name for dinner. I went downstairs and walked into the kitchen. The aroma of spagetti and garlic bread filled the air. 

"Come sit down and eat, honey. I made your favorite!", she said.

"Okay!", I replied.

        She placed the plate of food in front of me and the steam from the noodles filled my nose. 

"Mom, I don't want this. Why couldn't we have something better like pizza?", Jerry said.

"Because that's all we had and that's what I made for dinner. Be appreciative of what you have. If you don't like it, then go to bed. Your not getting anything else to eat tonight.", my mom said. But that wasn't the truth. He had money in his wallet. He'll probably sneak out in the middle of the night to go eat something somewhere, like he always does. Better yet, he'll get one of his girlfriends to buy it for him. 

        After I was done eating, I went upstairs and checked my phone. It was around nine o'clock, and I had no text messages. Since I had school the next day, I went ahead and decided to take a shower. I went to the bathroom and turned on the hot water. I took off my clothes and stepped into the tub. I washed my hair and my body. I rinsed off and stepped out.

        I went back to my room and slipped on some hello kitty pajamas and put my hair into a wet ponytail. I turned off the light and went to bed.