ASHANTE/ ONYI😊

Growing up, I was always indoors. Not because I wasn't allowed to go out but because I love 'my time'. Due to this, I didn't have a lot of friends. In fact, I was kinda scared of people. You can call it paranoia, I call it reality.
No one really loves you, they can't be there Everytime, some could go an extreme mile to hurt you. Females could even kill you because of jealousy.
My dad worked with people, most scammed him. Shameful!!!!!
Instead of having to deal with all these drama, I'd prefer being alone. Just one friend would be okay. That 'one friend's wasn't found yet.

Ruth, my roommate was a total mess.
She was so unkept. I know I could be lazy sometimes but her laziness compared to none. I couldn't complain, I was squatting and she was the one buying most of the foodstuffs. I had to endure.
We argued one time, it almost turned into a fight. I lost my key. ( I'm very bad at keeping things safe, pardon me).  I asked if she had a spare key to give me. She got annoyed and started throwing words at me.
I was not the type to be silent. I hated insults especially when I know the issue at hand wasn't enough to warrant those insults.
I fired back at her and warned her to be careful with her words. I said this quite politely, I believe.....
Then she mentioned I was living with her, I shouldn't forget. She was feeding me, I shouldn't forget.
Those words shut me up. I just walked out.
I couldn't cry, I felt so ashamed. Like damn!!!
Was this how I was supposed to live my life? Why then was I born in the first place? To suffer? I lamented.

Ruth apologized later though and gave me a spare key, admonishing me to be more careful. I replied 'Yes' still really quiet.
Everything ended with laughter later that night.

The next day, I had lectures by 2, I went quite late for it, cos I fell asleep. Who doesn't like sleep? If you don't..you're probably a wierdo😗
I got to class, everywhere was occupied..I looked round the class and finally found a seat close to a black girl. She had a beauty I couldn't really explain. I've seen black American's but they weren't as black or beautiful like the girl sitting close to me.
Her eyes were brown, she was on Afro, her hair was curly. Taking a peep at her, I noticed she was tall, about 5'6 ft.
She was on a blue gown probably made of silk. I liked her😊.

Hey, could you pass me your note? I didn't get the lecturer's last sentence.
I never expected her to talk to me. I was just 'there'. Nobody spoke to me. I spoke to no one. I liked it though. I didn't want trouble.
I didn't get it either but I jotted some of his point.i do not think his last statement was actually that important. I replied with a tiny voice.
Give me like that....she had a wierd accent. Not like the black American's here. She clearly wasn't an American, I thought.
I gave her and she came closer to me.
My name's Ashante. what's yours?
I'm Devine. I replied. Divine? She asked.
Nope. Devine. I responded. First time hearing that...Ashante said.
We spent the whole day together, I became a little bit free with Ashante.

Walking to the canteen to get some snacks, we met Ruth and her friends on the way.
We all laughed for a while and suddenly stopped when we saw a fine guy walk past us.
'Who be dis one? He nor fine sef.'
Ashante spoke up.
What did you say? Ruth responded.
Ashante laughed..you won't understand.
It's like a mixture of correct English and slangs. I said.
It's pidgin. Peculiar to Nigerians. Ashante replied.
You're from Nigeria? I've heard so much about this African country. I've always wanted to go to Africa. I love the way they dress although their food is quite different from ours. And oh😯 their dance. It's unique 😌. I said excitedly.
You could teach me piiidigen. I said not pronouncing it correctly.
Everyone laughed...
I asked what her Nigerian name was, she said onyinye meaning 'gift from God'.
We talked and talked, walked up together with a promise of knowing each other's house's when next the next day.
It was indeed amusing that I know a black girl personally, a Nigerian.
What was more amusing was that I get to learn pigdin, yes I can pronounce it well.
now. For those that cannot pronounce it, simply say pee-gin.
Perfect!! you just pronounced it...
I'm glad you've finally met my soon-to-be best friend.
We go see tommorow.😚 She also thought me that!!!!!!!

Thanks for reading.
More coming...
And please, don't forget to click on the star just below your screen.😀