Chapter 4: Best of Friends

Levi's POV

"It's alright, Levi. Go and say hi." Mom says to me, nudging me inside the house. "Levi, you're so stubborn. Go out and say hi to her. She'll be your friend."

When I peaked around Mom, I saw that other little girl, smiling. She waved at me and giggled, fixing her glasses. "Hello!"

I jumped at her voice and continued to hide behind Mom. "He's a shy one, isn't he?" Another woman's voice began to chuckle.

"That's correct." My mother began chuckling and pulling me back out in the open to face the girl with glasses. "Levi, introduce yourself. No need to be afraid of those two. I'll help introduce you." Her hand gripped tightly on mine and we walked closer. I kept trying to pull back, but Mom wouldn't let me. "Levi, this is Hanji and her mom. Hanji, this is my son, Levi."

The girl smiled and slowly walked up to me. She waved again, but gently. "Heya, Levi! I'm Hanji!" She giggles as I tried to back away from her. But she grabbed my hands and held in close to her. "Let's be best of friends!"

"F-Friends...?" I whisper under my breath, just staring at this girl. She was just smiling brightly, like I've been her best friend forever.

She nods, "Yes, let's be friends, Levi! Wanna play a game with me?"

"G-Game?"

"Uh huh! It's called 'Make Believe,' and we make things up." She then turns to her mother with a bright smile. "Can I please take him inside and play?"

Her mother chuckled, nodding her head. "Of course you can, Hanji. Just be careful. I'm gonna be staying out here with Levi's mom. Go and have fun." She then looked back at Mom and continued to talk. "Kuchel, don't you worry. It seems Hanji is having Levi warm up to her. I feel that if this keeps up, we're able to take care of your son while you work."

*   *   *

"See this, Levi?" She asks as she held a small doll in her arms. "This is Rosie, and she's my baby! Hm... maybe you can be the dad?"

"D-Dad?"

Hanji nods, cradling the baby in her arms. "Yeah, like my daddy used to! He would have to help take care of the baby. Don't you have a daddy?"

I shook my head. "N-No... I-I never had a d-daddy..." 

She stayed silent for a bit, gasping a bit. "W-Well, I'll show you how to be like a daddy. If you want to, okay? We can take care of this little baby together!" She smiles, giving me the baby. "Now, be very careful. We don't want her to start crying."

*   *   *

Make Believe... a game I always played with her whenever Mom had to go work. As time went on and on, we kept playing that game and acting like our moms. The only other person I was ever opened to was Hanji. I was okay talking to her mom, and my mom was no stranger to me. Everything time we played Make Believe... we used to wonder what it's like to actually have children. Heh, we even asked how babies were made at the time. But we moved on from that game. We began to adventure in our backyards and climbing trees. Soon... we all forgot about Make Believe. Forgotten about our promises about forever being together.

*   *   *

All that from seeing a doll... I sighed, shaking my head. That was the past. We may have been the best of friends when we were young, but now... she moved on from that time- and so should I. 

"Levi... you're my best friend... and you know what?"

"What?"

"I love you!"

That one time... I shook my head to forget it. We never really learned what the word 'love' meant to us as kids. But almost adults, we all know what it means. As kids, we loved each other as friends and nothing else. We changed from back then... admitting it now... I wish we had those times back. 

I shoved Hanji away because I got jealous of that Erwin guy. And I deeply regret it. When I closed my eyes, I knew what I should do: apologize to her. And perhaps... make it up to her.