iv | 'fuck it, she's incredible'

shawn mendes
15/10/18
6:28pm
san francisco, usa

"Sounds like a plan, Venus." I nod, standing up and saying her name again. I loved it, the way it just rolled off my tongue. She stays sat down, holding her hand out for me to pull her up.

I clasp my hand in hers, the neck of my swallow tattoo disappearing under the pad of her thumb as she grips onto me, allowing me to bring her to her feet. "Thanks for that."

I chuckle and she follows, leading me back inside with one finger still wrapped carefully around my own. I shake her off reluctantly once we're inside, knowing i'm in the eye-line of my friends.

"If she freaks out, you've only got yourself to blame." She warns me, "But I guess you're used to that?"

I shrug, allowing her to guide me through the crowds of people as they dance to a band that I couldn't be less interested in if I tried.

"Wait there." She instructs, breaking off from me once she spots her friends. She says something to them, to the girl. Something on the lines of 'stay calm, don't freak out'. I chuckle as they engage in a confusing conversation, startled as someone taps me on the shoulder.

"I take it you met her?" Brian stands in front of me, arms crossed and eyebrows raised.

"Yeah, she was sitting outside." I explain, hiding how excited I am about that fact. "She's, fuck it, she's incredible." I let my façade come crashing down, knowing that Brian's opinions will come flying out of his mouth like always.

"Incredible how?" he narrows his eyes at me suspiciously.

"She just is." I shrug, my eyes drifting over to her as she talks with her friends. "She's so interesting. Y'know, Venus is her real name. Venus Carrera. How cool is that?"

"Pretty cool, I guess." He shrugs, still unsure. "Cooler than Char-"

"Right, so I've warned her." Venus interrupts, striding over and wrapping her fingers around my wrist. "Oh, sorry. Am I interrupting?"

"Absolutely not." I smile, throwing a side glance at Brian. "So, what did you say?"

"I just said that she's about the experience something that's gonna blow her—" She pauses, panic crossing her face. "She just looked over! Quick, hide!"

I let her pull me under the raised-up table, almost knocking a few glasses down on the way. We're crouched down now, with her holding a finger against her lips. "This is completely unnecessary." I point out through held-in laughter.

"It's funny, though." She giggles, letting her head fall close to my shoulder as she laughs. "Ok, I think we've made sufficient fools of ourselves."

"I think so too." I agree as we stand up, leaving Brian to walk to her friend.

"Follow my lead." She whispers, tapping the girl on her shoulder. "Mari?"

"Uh-huh?" Her friend replies, turning around. "What's this crazy thing you wanted to show me?"

"Look how much this guy looks like Shawn Mendes!" She marvels, doing jazz hands in my direction. "It's ridiculous. Doppelgänger material or what?"