Chapter 4

Tomorrow was the big day. Everyone in the palace was in a hurry and very busy getting things ready for tomorrow. The kitchen; busy with preparing the menu for the candidates first dinner in the palace. The maids; preparing each of the candidates bedrooms, and cleaning every inch of the palace. The guards; learning more safety procedures with three sort of unknown guys coming into the palace. Mom and dad; ensuring that everyone was doing something to pitch in, and that everything was getting done. Me; In the gym, out of the way, and panicking.

When I am stressed I either like to 1. Play piano, or 2. Go to the gym. Dad used to work out a lot as a teenager, so when I was little, he would teach me how to use some of the equipment the palace still had from when he worked out. He would give me two pound dumbbells to do bicep curls with, and would also hold me by my waist, helping me to do chin-ups. Though I couldn't even manage one. As I grew older, I loved going to the gym more and more. Now, I can officially say dad hasn't had a work out in over 3 years. The gym is pretty much mine, though Elijah sometimes comes. Mostly to flex his muscles in the mirror. 

I was using the shoulder press machine. Staring at my tomato covered face, blue work out clothes, and tiny stick arms in the mirror. I wasn't sure what to expect for tomorrow. My brain was so focused on that, I lost count of how many reps I've completed and the aching pain in my triceps, deltoids, upper chest and traps weren't even felt anymore because my mind was so stuck in other thoughts of worry. Suddenly, my sweaty hands released the handles of the shoulder press machine, leaving the loud noise of the weights falling back down and clunking together. 

"Miss, is everything okay in here?" A guard rushed in hearing the drop of the weights.

Mom and dad made it a rule to have a guard stand nearby the gym if I used it just in case any accidents were to occur.  

"Yeah everything's good." 

"Okay." The guard started to walk out. I decided to try and make conversation to attempt to get my mind off the prince's arrivals tomorrow.

"Hey, I don't think I ever got your name?" I said.

"It's Wesley."

"Nice to finally know your name. Are you like stationed to guard me while I'm at the gym? It's always you standing nearby." 

"Yeah. I am." 

"How long have you been working at the palace now?"

"Well let's see. I started when I was 18, I am 23 now, so about 5 years." 

"Oh wow. It's been awhile. How do you like it here?"

"I'm not sure I am allowed to tell you that miss." 

"Oh. Sorry. I'm honestly just quite bored, I haven't really talked to many people all day."

"I see. Well it seems you've been enjoying the gym today."

"Yeah. I think I've been in here for like three hours. You are probably bored out of your mind standing out there." 

"I'm okay. Don't worry about me." 

"When does your shift end today?"

"9:00." 

"Oh wow. A little late. When did you start?"

"I started 9:00 this morning."

"9 to 9. My goodness."

"Eh, I don't mind it."

"Tell me about yourself. I've never actually had a decent conversation with a guard before." The guard looked almost uncomfortable. But for some reason I kept asking questions.