ONE.

new york, 1989.

Eleven always loved rain. It's just weather, you can say, but she always thought rain was poetic. It expresses sadness. Sadness. That's pretty much all what had been going on in her life so far. Everything since she had left Hawkins, and lost her only true home. She was jealous of Max, who had Lucas. She was that badass, extrovert type of friend, and that was the total opposite of El, shy and insecure.

She loved Max, she was her best friend, but looking at her living her best youth while she was huddling under her old blanket and watching some boring soap operas again was painful. Eleven had lost hope. What else can I expect? I don't deserve happiness, right?

Unpleasant thoughts haunting her mind like demons above her apartment.

She wasn't strong enough to fight all her feelings and try to start again anymore.  She didn't have the strength. She was almost nineteen now and she hadn't achieved anything in her life yet. She doesn't know what to do with her future and, most importantly, will she have that future at all. She had never felt more miserable and weak. She lost her home.
But, you get used to everything, right?

seven p.m.

"we'll be back in three hours!" eleven heard max. she was looking for her red scarf at the moment.

"hurry up!" lucas rolled his eyes, being clearly annoyed. his girlfriend didn't seem to care about him at all.

eleven thought they were really cute together, although their cuteness did not bother them to argue quite often.

they finally left.

eleven laid her eyes on her body in the mirror and gave herself an evaluative look. she lost weight again. she looked like a ghost, in an oversized sweater, even though she didn't have anorexia or other diseases. max still forced her to eat regularly. she was just really thin. she was petite, as she always said.

she sighed and sat on the couch to watch tv again that day.

"damn it!" mike whispered with anger, pulling out a thin cigarette out of his coat. he combed his dark, wavy hair with his long fingers crossed and sighed quietly. smoke got into his nostrils as he walked down the maple street. "new york? seriously?" he thought and frowned his eyebrows. everything seemed so senseless. he hadn't spoken to any of the members of the party since they graduated. everything was falling apart, and journalist career seemed like it wasn't as interesting as he thought at first.
But, you get used to everything, right?

. . .
hey, this update is really short, I know, but the beginning can't be too long, and this story was always meant to be short. sorry that you guys had to wait so long, but i'm really happy that this fic didn't flop because it matters a lot to me.
thoughts on the chapter? love, a.