ix. - the heathkits on fire

THE HAWKINS CASE !

THE BODY
NINE — THE HEATHKITS ON FIRE

                                          Parking her bike in the bike rack Lucy stumbled around as she tried to get off. She was still a bit frazzled by what she said earlier... she didn't know why either. It's not like it was a big deal. Lucy jogged over to her friends sliding past the school doors as they began to shut behind them. "Okay, remember, if anyone sees us, look sad," Mike told them. 'Attention students, there will be an assembly to honor Will Byers in the gymnasium now. Do not go to fourth period.' Lucy listened closely to the announcement as they got closer to the AV room. Hopefully, nobody would be around because of the assembly.

Coming up to the AV room Mike pressed his hands out to push open the door. It didn't open though. The five of them stood back stumped that the door wouldn't open. "It's locked." Mike sighed. "What?" "Hey, do you think you can open it?" Dustin asked looking towards El. "With your powers?" "I don't know if nows the time for that Dustin," Lucy said crossing her arms.

"Kids?" Mr. Clarke said turning from around the corner. Startled the kids turned to face him. Trying their best to not look suspicious. "Hey," Lucas said leaning against the AV room door. "Assembly's about to start," Mr. Clarke told them. "We know. We're just, you know..." Mike said looking down acting sad.

"Upset." Lucas finished copying Mike. "Yeah, definitely upset." Dustin stammered. "We just wanted to be alone... to cry... in peace, away from everyone," Lucy said playing with her fingers. "Yeah, listen... I get it. I do. I know how hard this is, but let's just be there for Will, huh? And then... the Heathkit is all yours for the rest of the day." Mr. Clarke said tossing the keys to the AV room over to Mike. "What do you say?"

They all nodded enthusiastically. Mr. Clarke's eyes drifted off to El who was standing there quietly. Not recognizing her he began to speak. "I don't believe we've met. What's your name?" "Eleven--" She mumbled only to be shouted over by Mike. "Eleanor! She's my, uh--" Mike said stammering at the end. "Cousin," Lucas said. "Second cousin," Dustin emphasized. "She's here for Will. His funeral." Lucy said.

"Ah, well, welcome to Hawkins Middle, Eleanor. I wish you were here under better circumstances." Mr. Clarke said to El. "Thank you," El said lightly. "Uh, where are you from exactly?" Mr. Clarke asked. "Bad place--" "Sweden! She's Swedish and from Sweden!" Lucy spoke over El. "I have a lot of Swedish family," Mike shrugged. "She hates it there," Dustin said.

"Cold!" "Subzero." There was a bit of silence, Mr. Clarke looking at the kids confused. "Shall we?" He asked. "Yep!"

     "Will Byers' death is an unimaginable tragedy. Will was an exceptional student and a wonderful friend to all of us. It's impossible to express the hole his loss with leave in our community. I'd like to introduce you to Sandy Sloane. She's a local grief counselor from the church over in Jonesboro..."

The speech felt very generic, but maybe it was just Lucy. It didn't matter to her that much since she had a pretty good feeling that Will wasn't dead. Not after her and Mike hearing him last night. The only thing that did bother her about all of this is how bored and uninterested everyone looked. Like jeez, someone 'died' and you're just gonna sit there and yawn? "Look at these fakers," Mike whispered in disgust. "They probably didn't even know his name till today," Lucas said.

"What?" Hearing the laugh and chuckling coming from their side the group met Troy and James. Both of them giggling and joking around. Like this was all a joke! "Who is interested in this? This is so stupid." "Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah... Oh, he was such a great student. Oh, he's going to leave a hole in the community."