Chapter Eight

C h a p t e r E i g h t

The luxurious decor and the crowd of dancing individuals reminded Lynette of the private clubs she used to work in in Glasgow, courtesy of the Bridgeton Team. The band played upbeat jazz music for the dancing couples, while girls in flapper dresses performed in sync behind them.

Lynette watched the room from afar as she and Tommy stood on the upper level. Upon entrance to the enclosed room, they avoided drawing attention to themselves and simply stood with a drink and cigarette. They had both attempted to make themselves appear normal to those around them; Tommy had removed his cap, and Lynette had shedded her jacket to allow her expensive dress to display - to avoid suspicion to the snobs watching them.

There was little conversation between them as both scanned the room, neither were able to spot Kimber despite their advantage point. The redhead assumed that he had either not arrived yet or he was seated under the balcony they stood on.

"I still prefer The Garrison," Tommy announced, drawing her attention to him. She laughed at the comment, nodding in agreement. "Do you dance?"

Lynette was taken back by his question. She did not assume for him to be interested in dancing considering his opinions of singing in The Garrison. Although at the same time, she could feel that unusual buzz in her chest as she looked at him.

"I've not danced with a man in a long time," she answered honestly as she shook her head. She had spent most of her adult life dancing with Pauline in Glasgow, but she could not picture the face of any male she had danced with. "I'm usually the one serving the drinks and watching the others do the dancing," she explained additionally with a shrug.

"We're gonna have to fix that," Tommy decided, the cigarette leaving his lips as it was discarded into a nearby ashtray The redhead watched in suspense as he did so, before turning to face her. "Lady Charlotte from the Highlands, will you dance with me?"

She debated the idea for a second, wondering if it was sensible or would it become an avoided topic after today. She had accepted the fact that she had begun to like the man before her, and she knew that she would be left hurt if he pretend that nothing happened after today. But as she thought about it more, she remembered that it had been Tommy that came to her house in the early hours of the morning looking for company.

She restrained the smile that fought to emerge on her lips as she stared into those blue orbs that lured her in deeper. "I will accept that offer, Mr Shelby."

Tommy raised his left hand for her to take, she accepted it and allowed him to guide her downstairs. They made their way to the centre of the room, and situated themselves among the dancing couples.

Lynette allowed Tommy to pull her close, his right arm wrapping around her. She smiled at the sensation of his hand running down her spine, his finger tips gently gracing along the silky material of her dress. His hand stopped before laying flat on the small of her back as she allowed him to take control of the dance.

The hand that was not grasped in his own came to a rest on his shoulder as he began to lead the dance in a steady rhythm with the music. The lack of space between them allowed her to enjoy the scent of his cologne, as well as the hint of tobacco on his skin. However this didn't put her off, instead she found it more inviting.

She finally allowed the grin to reveal itself as Tommy's eyes met hers as he spun them in a circle before guiding them in the other direction. She began to enjoy herself, forgetting that the purpose to come down here was to look for any signs of Kimber. Lynette saw that Tommy also seemed to be getting lost in their mission, as his gaze remained on her's as he spun her under his arm before pulling her close again.