Chapter 18

"Jake...." Emily tried to shake him awake one last time before he woke up.

"Emily? What is it? Are you okay?"

Emily started crying, and Jake hugged her.

"I had a really bad dream," Emily sobbed. "Our parents, they were dying over and over, and you weren't there to stop it."

"It's okay. You're okay now. No one is going to hurt you anymore, okay?"

Emily nodded, and continued to cry.

"I will always protect you, Emily." Jake promised.

Emily remembered that night vividly, even though it was almost a decade ago. Jake had definitely kept his promise over the past 10 years, which was why when she started Thunderstorm she made him the head of security.

Jake walked through the door, interrupting her thoughts.

"Sorry I'm late," he explained. "I got held up. What did you call me here for?"

"I wanted to see if you found anything else about Jennifer. And I haven't seen you in a while."

"Sorry. I meant to come more often, but-"

"No, it's fine. I understand. You were with Sara. How is she, by the way?"

"She's fine, just uncomfortable. And Jennifer's tracking device has been in the same place for 4 months, I'm assuming she and Ben hid it there."

"So we have no idea where she is?"

"No. The most likely place she would be is in Ben's apartment, but we already checked there. She easily could have been hiding, and we just didn't see her. Do you want me to send another group there?"

"No, that's fine. She will come, eventually. I'm sure that when her memories come back, so will she. I can't say it will be a very friendly meeting, though."

Emily had found out about Jennifer's memory loss a couple months before, after Sara analyzed her behavior from before she escaped.

"Whatever she does, I'll protect you from it, I promise." Jake said.

"We're descended from Veronica. I know we can handle it."

"I don't think being descended from the leader of the survivors from the asteroid is going to help."

Emily rolled her eyes. "Don't be so negative. We won't fight her unless she initiates it."

"You won't fight her either way. I'm not letting my little sister go up against an amnesiac woman who is at least 5 years older than her. I don't remember what all the side effects of Operation 77 are, but I'm not taking the chance that 'murderous rage' might be one of them."

Emily resisted the urge to laugh. She knew Jake was extremely protective of her, which wasn't always a good thing, but she could still handle herself. She also knew that she had near complete control over Jennifer, and if there was a fight between them, it wouldn't last long. As strong, or older, as Jennifer may be, she was still recovering from the operation, even 4 months later. She and Jake still had the advantage.

"You still see me as a 10 year old girl, Jake. That's not what I am anymore. I can fight her-"

"It's my job to protect you, Emily, just like it has been for the last 10 years. I'm not going to risk you getting hurt."

Emily sighed. She couldn't argue with him once he brought that up. She still felt guilty that he had to take care of her after their parents died, when he was only 15 years old.

"Fine." she said, surrendering. "I won't fight her. But I can't promise anything if she hurts you."

"She won't." Jake held her reassuringly, but she was still worried about the possibility of Jennifer.... no, she couldn't even think about it. She hugged him back.

"I can't lose you." she said. Jake was all she had now. He was her only family.

Him, and his unborn child.

"You should be with Sara." Emily said, breaking away from him.

"Are you sure? I can stay-"

"No, it's okay. You should be with her, especially now. I'll be fine."

"I'll see you soon, I promise." Jake said.

"See you soon." Emily responded as he left.

She walked over to the window again, thinking. In order to find out the cause of Jennifer's memory loss, and any other possible side effects she may have, Emily knew what she had to do the next day.

She was going to go to the archives.