Chapter 8

Kate walked over, "What's wrong?" she signed, a concerned look on her face.

Aleck shrugged and swung down from Lexi's back. "We met this dragon-" he motioned to the small yellow dragon that had followed them, "-when they saved us from getting killed by...someone. Lexi had found out something from them and she wants to tell us."

Lexi growled at the yellow dragon and spoke in Kate's mind, The yellow dragon's name is Ivy. she told her and Aleck

Kate nodded, Information?

So the person who was sho- AGH!!! Lexi's thought turned into a roar of agony.

Kate, surprised, looked around. A deep red dragon was hurtling toward them.

NIELEN!!!! Aleck thought excitedly, waving.

Kate dove at him, blood pounding in her ears and they tumbled out of the way just as a fireball hit where they were just standing.

They hit the ground with a noticeable thump and Alex groaned, rolling away and getting up.

Kate was already on her feet and running toward Lexi, who was trying desperately to fly out of the clearing.

Lexi! Stop! Please! she called

Lexi paused and saw the dragon barreling toward Kate and roared, leaping in front of her, taking the blow.

Lexi screamed in agony and started shaking her head, backing up around the clearing and bumping into trees.

Aleck!! Aleck heard Kate's voice in his mind and looked up to see Kate waving frantically at him from Nielen's claws.

Aleck, please help! Kate begged, staring down at the clearing.

Aleck got smaller and smaller and Kate's eyes became blurry from tears, He didn't hear me.... she thought sadly, her last shreds of hope disappearing.

Back in the clearing, Aleck was yelling at Lexi in his mind. Stop!! Let me see what's wrong! Just stop!! Nothing worked so he sighed, exasperated and yelled, Kate's kidnapped and we need to rescue her!!

Lexi froze and turned her face to him.

Aleck could now see the full cost of what she had done for Kate. Oh my gosh... he murmured, Why did you do that?

She's my rider. It's my duty. Lexi replied shortly.

But at this cost?

At any cost. 

Lexi....you're blind.

A/N: sorry! This is pretty short but I wanted to leave on a cliffhanger and this is the best I could find! 😂