18

You don't hesitate when you rush into your older cousin's arms, sobbing like a child who got their candy stolen.

"Shh, it's ok (Y/N). I'm here now, it's ok," She whispers, petting your hair slowly as you sniffle into her shoulder. You hear Sans yelling something at his brother and Undyne, but it's muffled by your own crying.

"H-How did y-you get here?" You stutter, pulling away from your cousin.

"Well, you left some footprints behind in the woods and I followed them to this giant hole. I was the only one who noticed you were missing,"

"Wow...th-thanks for looking for me, Charlotte," You say, smiling a shaky smile.

"Of course," She says, "you're my baby cousin, after all," You hug her again, crying happy tears for finally getting your old Charlotte back.

"Now, what can you tell me about this Sans guy?" She asks, gesturing to the furious skeleton still shouting at Papyrus.

"What do you know about him?" You ask.

"Well, all I know is that he knows you. When I entered Snowdin, he approached me and said he knew who you were and that he felt that something bad was going to happen to you. Obviously I got worried, so I followed him to you and here I am,"

"Lucky he had that feeling, huh?" You say, "I almost got killed!"

"Yeah, thank goodness!" Charlotte says. You hear Sans yell your name in his angry rant and turn to see what's happening.

"...SHE'S ALREADY GOT IT BAD WHERE SHE COMES FROM, SHE CAME DOWN HERE TO ESCAPE!! NOW YOU FUCKWADS ARE TRYNA TAKE HER DAMN SOUL?!? THAT'S JUST PATHETIC!!" He roars, his hands igniting with red flames and his left eye turning bright red.

"Wait...take your soul?" Charlotte asks, "What does he mean?"

"Well, the monsters are trapped down here because of a magical barrier keeping them underground," You explain, "the only way to break this barrier is by using a human soul," Charlotte thinks deeply for a moment, then turns to Asgore, Papyrus, and Undyne.

"HEY!" She shouts, catching their attention and shutting Sans up, "You want a soul, right?" Asgore and Undyne glance at each other.

"Charlotte, what're you doing?"

"I've been a bitch to my cousin recently, and apparently she tried to kill herself to get away from me," She continues, "I'm not gonna let you guys kill her when she's already in this dark state of mind,"

"Charlotte..."

"So, to redeem myself, I'll give you my soul instead," Charlotte says, drawing herself up to her full height, "I made (Y/N) fall down here in an attempt to end her own life...she shouldn't have to pay the ultimate price for my terrible treatment of her,"

"CHARLOTTE, NO!!" You screech, grabbing her arm and pulling her away from Asgore, "You can't do this!! We can find another way to break the barrier!" Your body shakes with sobs as Charlotte smiles sadly.

"I'm gonna do this, (Y/N)," She says quietly, pulling her arm gently out of your grip, "it'll be alright. I'll always be with you,"

"No, I won't let you!" You cry, trying to pull her towards you, "I'm not gonna lose my cousin!"

"Human..." Asgore rumbles, causing the room to go silent, "if she wishes to redeem herself, let her. It will let her rest peacefully," You stare, teary-eyed, at your older cousin. She gazes back, her eyes glassy.

"...Okay," You say, not believing what you're saying. Charlotte sighs deeply and squeezes you into a bone-crushing hug.

"I love you, (Y/N)," She whispers.

"L-Love you too, Charlotte," You reply, your voice quivering. You don't want to let go of her, but when she backs away you release your cousin from your arms.

Charlotte steps up to the king, holding her head high.

"Let's do this," She says. Undyne, Papyrus, and Sans walk away from Asgore and stand at your side. Sans grabs your hand and squeezes it gently. Papyrus and Undyne hang their heads respectfully.

Asgore raises his hand in the direction of Charlotte and her soul phases out of her chest. She gasps loudly and you cringe at the sound. Her soul glows a vibrant orange.

"Bravery..." Undyne mutters under her breath. Asgore summons a clear capsule from the ground and floats Charlotte's soul towards it. You watch in agony as the light leaves her blue eyes.

"Goodbye Charlotte," You breathe, gripping Sans' hand tighter. Her body goes limp and Asgore picks it up.

"We will have a proper burial for her," Asgore says, turning to you, "she is a true hero,"

"She would've liked that," You say, tears glimmering in your eyes.

***

A/N: Phew! Finally got out a chapter! I apologize that's it's on the shorter side, I'll try to make the next one longer!

Thanks for reading, love you all!