Chapter 34: Secrets & Collect Calls

*excuse any mistakes*

Cyn :

3 weeks later

"Baby you need to get out of this bed and eat something...there's Popeyes in the kitchen, your favoriteeeee." I tried to lighten the mood but she stared at me stone faced.

"I'm not in the mood right now. I'm about to go check on King in a minute and I just want some peace and quiet."

I sighed sitting next to her on the bed. "Come here." I pulled her head into my chest. "I know you're scared baby. But your brother is a fighter, and he's gonna come back to us. You know he wouldn't want you sulking around. He would be like 'E get up and get that money. Don't let nothing stop the money'."

She half smiled for the first time in three weeks. "That is something he'd say but It's just so hard Cyn. I ain't never had to worry bout nobody but myself."

I nodded. "I know babe, trust me I know. But you have to have faith. King is going to wake up, the doctors even said it can be any day now. There's no more swelling around his brain. His surgery went well, all we can do now is pray."

I felt her wrap her arms around my waist. "Have I told you how much I love you lately?" She asked kissing me on my chest then on my lips.

"Nah but it's okay. I love you too. Now get up." I kissed her forehead. She finally climbed out of bed and walked into the bathroom to get ready.

I walked back out into the living room where Jojo was sat on the floor watching Dora the explorer, munching on some Cajun fries. I grabbed my phone off the coffee table and scrolled down my contacts, calling him.

"What Cyn." His tone was irritated and I had to refrain from going off on him. How did he have an attitude with me when I was the one protecting his ass?

"Nigga, watch your tone first of all and secondly I need some money. E ain't making no moves right now and your daughter still needs things." I spoke as I walked over to the kitchen to fix Erica a plate. I was sure after she showered and got ready that she'd be pretty hungry. Especially because the last couple days she refused to eat.

"Man go head with that bullshit. Ya' girl on her skinny shit and now I'm supposed to step up and take care of y'all happy lil household? Nah." He spoke with venom in his words. He had some damn nerve.

I rolled my eyes as I began speaking in a sort of yelling whisper. "You forget
I'm keeping your secret? That you fucking robbed her brother, hurt him and that's why we're in this predicament in the first place? She's paying his medical bills dumb ass...and it's expensive and you know I'm not working right now. Jojo still has daycare, and she needs food, not to mention a roof over her head."

He laughed right in my ear. "Then get off your ass Cyn! The fuck...when Jojo with me she straight. And plus I ain't ask you to keep no secret. I told you what was up but If your girl want smoke cuz I caught her brother slipping tell her pull up. That's on Piru." He hung up in my ear causing my mouth to fall open.

Fuck. I hated this nigga. I didn't want him hurt but now all bets were off.

"Who was that?" I jumped hearing Erica's voice from the doorway of the kitchen. I looked over at her then at the plate I'd made for her earlier. I placed it in the microwave and heated it up.

"Ohh just my momma, I was asking her for some bill money but she said she doesn't have it." I pulled her plate out of the microwave and set it in front of her on the island. She took a seat on the bar stool and began eating.

"Didn't sound like it...never heard you use that tone with her. I mean I didn't hear the whole convo but you sounded pissed with her." She said biting into some of her food.