CHAPTER 3

Few hours before my wedding, in a mini-supermarket.

"Jojo come on you've gotten enough, we have to go," I said impatiently to my crazy friend Jojo who is madly in love with candy. We left my house and decided to take a ride before my bachelorette party 'cause I felt a little jittery and nervous about my wedding. Right about now we are in a mini-supermarket stocked with candy that we unnecessarily had to stop in cause my love-struck best friend who is in love with candy can't seem to stay without it for a minute.

"Okay I'm done," she said excitedly as she walked passed me with the candies held in her hands to the cashier. They were so much, she had to hold them to her chest to create more space for them.

She dumped them unceremoniously on the table looking at the cashier. He was tall, built and handsome. He was wearing a red face cap, black jeans, and a black t-shirt that had "bite me" written in bold white letters on the front of it. He also had tattoos running down his left arm, and that left arm was filled with veins. It looked like a railway track.

Jojo was oblivious to his look 'cause her focus was all on her candies. I, on the other hand, was not.

I mean who lets a man like this work in a shop? He's meant to be a bouncer, not a cashier.

"Are you having a party?" he asked in a smooth voice as he began to scan her candies.

I looked away from his body to his eyes, pushing my glasses back into my face. Surprisingly he didn't sound hard, or rough, or scary. Hm, guess what they say is true; never judge a book by its cover.

"Nope," Jojo answered, popping the "p".

He paused. Looked at her, and stated.

"It isn't Halloween"

Jojo looked confused. Inclining her head to the side, she said: "yeah I know".

"Then why so much..." realization dawned on him as he said, "Ohh..." his mouth formed a perfect "O" then his voice faded, before he continued, " You want to be generous today, share em out to kids right?"

He then smiled, like he was proud of her for being the wife of Santa for a day.

"What! No, of course not" answered Jojo. She looked affronted.

He frowned, "Oh, okay, who owns them then?" he asked as he went back to scanning.

"Me" she stated proudly.

The cashier stopped scanning then slowly turned his head to stare at her again. I know she's smiling like a loon, its Jojo, it's what she does; smile in situations like these.

His eyes moved to me.

I was standing behind her so she didn't see me nod sagely at him.

He looked back at her.

"You" he stated.

She nodded her head again, her hair bouncing.

He looked back at me, I nodded my head at him again.

He mouthed "wow", then focused on his scanning shaking his head in amazement and whispering words we both knew were true. Something about addictive, crazy, sugar- mouthed ladies with big eyes.

Once he was done, he read out our total.

"That'll be six thousand, five hundred naira." his eyes pinned expectantly on Jojo.

"No" answered Jojo firmly, "that can't be right, calculate it again" she commanded pointing at his system.

The cashier looked at his computer then back at her.