Chapter 17

Ellie's POV

I woke up around 9. I didn't call Natalie then because Oklahoma is 2 hours behind. So I went downstairs and made myself some waffles then put Nutella on them. Levi was awake but no one else was so I sat on the couch and watched tv when I got a call from my mom.

(E-ellie m-mom)

E- Hello?

M- Ellie, you need to come home.

E- Why?

M- Natalie is in the hospital. I just think it would be better for you to come home and be with her.

E- What happened? And yes, book me the soonest flight.

M- Ill explain once you get home. And I'll book it the call you back with all the information.

E- Okay thanks. Love you.

M- Love you too babe.

Then she hung up. I ran to my room and started to pack. About 30 minutes later my mom called back and told me my plane was at 2:30. Then I decided to go back downstairs after I was all packed. I didn't pack all my stuff because I didn't know if I was coming back so I left the stuff I didn't really need. THEN I went downstairs. Jessica was sitting at the table so I took this as a time to tell her.

"I am going home today so if you don't mind I need to you take me to the airport around like 12:45 so I have time to get through everything."

"I know your mom called me and told me everything. I am so sorry." Jessica told me.

"It's alright. I'm gonna call Sam and tell him that I want to see him before I leave. I'll talk to ya later." I said before walking over to the couch and called Sam.

(S- Sam E- Ellie)

S- what's up?

E- I am going home today. One of my friends is sick and my mom said I need to be home for her. I will more than likely come back but if I don't there is always next summer.

S- I'm sorry but what time does your plane leave? I want to come by and say bye.

E- we have to leave here at 12:45.

S- Great. I mean great that I have time to come and see you but not great that you have to leave.

E- I get it. See you in like 15 minutes?

S- yeah see you then.

Sam hung up and I went upstairs to get ready. I decided on something comfy since I would be on a plane. Then I just left my hair natural. Then I guess that took 15 minutes because Sam was sitting in the living room. He immediately got up and took my wrist and took me outside and to his car.

"Sam where are you taking me?" I asked.

"A place that I have wanted to take you for a while now." Was all he said for the whole car ride.

10 minutes later we arrived at In N Out Burger.

"You brought me here?" I asked.

"Yeah, just come with me." He said yanking me out of the car.

He covered my eyes as we were walking in. Then I was enveloped in a giant group hug. Then I started to cry. All these people were here for me. They were here to support me. I think it was Matt (Espinosa) who caught me as I fell to floor because I was crying so hard. I sat there with Matt just holding me for 5 minutes before I stopped.

"Thankfully I didn't wear makeup today." I said. Everyone laughed.

"You are beautiful without it." Hayes said walking towards me and helping me up. "Want some ice cream?" He asked. I nodded. "What kind?" He asked with a smile.

"Chocolate shake." I responded.

"A classic girl I see." Hayes said smiling widely at me.

"That me." I said while he handed me my shake. We then walked to the table and just talked. He was amazing and just took my mind off of everything I have been thinking of. Then Sam had to ruin it all.

"Ellie, we need to go. You have to go to the airport." That pinch of reality slapped me in the face. I started getting teary as I stood up.

"Don't cry." Hayes said getting up and hugging me. I hugged back tighter. He pulled away and kissed me on the cheek. "See you when you get back?" I nodded because I would've choked up if I started talking. Then Sam and I walked out the door. We drove to my 'house' and I went in, got my bags (I left any piece of clothing I don't wear), said goodbye to everyone (except my father because he was at work, I don't think he even knows I'm leaving), and walked out the door. Sam and I drove in silence until Stay High by Tove Lo came on and I turned it up to drown out my thoughts of what happened to Natalie and leaving all my new friends... At least I was in a few videos.

Once we got to the airport Sam got my bags and helped me out with my tickets. He stopped right before we got to security. He gave me a giant hug without warning and I think he was crying too. "I'm so glad I got to meet you." He said. "Me too. I love you Sam." That was the first time saying that to him. It felt natural. "I love you too Ellie." We let go and I went through security and onto my plane.

*skipping plane ride*

I got off the plane and looked around. I saw my mom and dad standing by baggage claim so I ran to them and gave them a hug. "As soon as we get my bags I want to go see Natalie." I said before I said anything else. "Okay. She really needs you Ellie." My mom said. This was bad.

We got my bags and drove to the hospital. We got there and my mom told me the floor and room number. But before we got to the room, there watered big doers in our way and a ICU sign above them. I broke down right there. My best friend is in the ICU. I pushed the buzzer button to get in saying it was just me because I ran in front of my parents. "Who are you here to see?" A woman asked. "Natalie Baker." I said. "And your name?" She asked. So many questions. "Ellie Cole." "Let me check the list." It was a second before she responded. "You can come in." She said before the doors opened. I rushed to her room.

Laying on the bed was Natalie. She looked really sick. I went and sat on the chair next to her bed and started crying. I guess it was loud because it woke her up. "Hey Ellie. How was California." Natalie said. "Sorry for waking you up. And it was good. How are you?" I asked. "Um not so good. I have Leukemia. It is acute leukemia and only stage one but still cancer." She said. "Oh my god Nat I'm so sorry. How long do you have to be in here for?" I asked. "About a month or maybe more if it gets worse." She replied. "Well, I am gonna be here everyday and when you get better you can come to California with me." I said back. "That sounds great." Nat replied.

For the rest of the night we just talked about stuff we needed to catch up on. I told her about Hayes, she told me that her crush Drew has been texting her and might like her. But she says I'm the only one that knows besides her and my family. I plan to be by her side for all the chemotherapy appointments and almost every night possible. It's gonna be like a giant sleepover... In a hospital.

-------------------------------------------

Long and sorta depressing chapter.

I just wanted to twist the story up a little, and don't worry Hayes and everyone will be back.

It's not like she goes home and never goes back to see them...,. Maybe.✖️

Jk but thanks for all the reads. Maybe have 50 votes or something like that??

Thanks💕

Ellie💁

💋💋

(Kisses

-E)