Chapter 6: The First Visit

"Wakey wakey, Gumball," said Nicole. The screen was pitch black, and, barely awake, Gumball grumbled. "Gumball," whispered Nicole. "It's time to wake up."

"It-it's too dark in here," muttered Gumball. "I can't see a thing."

"I'll open the curtains," suggested Nicole. She did just that, which made literally no difference to the pitch black darkness of the room. Now Gumball was irritated.

"D-what the?! What time is it, Mom?"

"It's two in the morning," said Nicole. "Time for me to show you something that I should have showed you a long time ago."

The scene cut to the basement, Gumball standing beside the furnace while Nicole was reaching behind it.

"Please tell me, Mom," said a shivering Gumball. "What are we doing down here while the rest of the world is asleep?"

A moment later, she pulled out the purple mat with stars on it and presented it to Gumball.

"What's this?" asked a curious Gumball feeling the material.

"It's about time I showed you this. My grandmother gave this to me before she died."

"A mat?" said Gumball. "Are you serious? She didn't leave you like a ring or necklace or anything?"

"This isn't just any mat, Gumball. In fact, I wanna try something with you. Now that there's a chance you may have my mental capabilities, I want to find out for sure. Gumball had a befuddled look on his face as Nicole walked to the windowsill and grabbed the scented candles, placing them one at a time around the mat.

"That's where all the candles went!" said Gumball. "I thought you just threw them out." Nicole then got out the radio for static. "Is that Dad's old radio? I haven't seen that thing in years! What's it for?"

"To create a white noise so we can concentrate," replied Nicole. She sat down with her legs folded in and patted the space next to her on the mat inviting Gumball to sit next to her. Gumball plopped himself right next to his mother, and she leaned to the other side and turned on the radio tuned between stations to obtain the static noise.

"So what now?" said Gumball.

"Close your eyes," instructed Nicole. Gumball did as he was told, sitting with his legs folded in, trying not to wag his tail with excitement. Nicole closed her eyes as well. "Now, I want you to start thinking about your family. Think about your father, your brother Darwin, and your sister Anais. Think about all the happy memories you've made with them." Gumball nodded, eyes still closed. "Have you found a good memory yet?" Nicole asked. Gumball replied with a "Mm Hmm." Now, I want you to put yourself there. Imagine you are there witnessing it like a movie, watching everyone there, including yourself." Gumball noticed Nicole's voice started to echo as he tried to concentrate as much as he could. "Still with me, Gumball?" asked Nicole.

"Yes," replied Gumball.

"You may open your eyes now." Gumball did just that. He was now no longer in the basement, but now in a pitch blackness again. His first thought was he could not be back in his room, since he had not gone back up any stairs yet. He was quick to realize he was in the same void that has served as the backdrop for all his nightmares. He began to scream and run, only to run right into the arms of his mother. "It's okay! It's okay, sweetie! I'm right here! I promise nothing will happen." Gumball was panting, but started to calm down. "We are now in the dreamscape."

"The dreamscape," Gumball repeated to let his mother know he heard her. "Yeah, I know what that is, alright!"

"It's how I access all the dreams in the family," said Nicole as they began to walk in the black void.