Chapter 27: The Turbine

"Why, I've gotta say, you two seem to have really put in a lot of thought into this list," said Dr. Pill as he skimmed over it, being looked on by Gumball and Nicole, sitting on either side of him directly facing each other. "Yeah... this is good. So... what are y'all's takeaways from drafting this?"

"I think it helped the situation, I can tell you that," said Nicole.

"Yeah," said Gumball, sitting humbly in his chair. "I mean... yeah."

"That's all you can say, Gumball?" said Dr. Pill with a smile on his face. "'Yeah?'" Gumball just nervously laughed. "Well, that can't be all that your thinking. I can tell you that. Admit it, you're proud of this list."

"I am," said Gumball.

"Well, it's one of the simplest forms of therapy in the book- writing things down. Because, did you know, Gumball, that when you jot something down on paper, you are also jotting it down in your brain?"

"I did know that," said Gumball. "I guess my question is what's next?"

"Emotional and visual associations," said Dr. Pill. "I guess let's just start with this. Gumball, simply look your mother in the eye right now." Gumball did just that. "Now tell us what you are thinking when you look at your mother now, compared to last week."

"Safety," said Gumball. "Security, I guess. Protection." Dr. Pill nodded as he said this. "I mean, even though I've seen multiple sides of you, you're still a cat. And more importantly, you're still my mom."

"That's very sweet of you, Gumball," said Nicole. "And of course, you'll always be my son."

"Let's just stop for a minute there," interrupted Dr. Pill. Nicole and Gumball both looked at him. "Gumball, I have a feeling you're just saying what you think we want to hear."

"Whataya mean?" asked the little blue cat.

"What I mean is, I've been doing this for about thirty years, and I can perfectly tell when someone is not speaking their heart or telling the truth on how they really feel. When you said those things, Gumball, I noticed that you kept glancing downward slightly, away from your mother's eyes."

"Huh?" said Gumball, officially bewildered.

"Gumball, have you ever heard the phrase, 'the eyes are the window to the soul?'" asked Dr. Pill. The little blue cat shook his head no. "Basically what that means is that the eyes are what truly display how we feel inside, our emotions and our consciences. And... it's perfectly natural for someone to not want to look into someone else's eyes, or 'soul windows.'" He held up air quotes on those last two words. "But believe me, Gumball, you're still perfectly safe to be honest with your mother and your perfectly safe to be honest with me, but more importantly to your mother, and this is your chance. Now, do you feel completely comfortable being around her?" Gumball hesitated for a second before he answered.

"Um... no," Gumball replied. "I wouldn't say I am completely comfortable." Nicole's eyes widened slightly yet she remained calm and willing to listen. "I mean, am I aware that she can go off again? Yes, but I just don't know when." Dr. Pill processed what he said for a moment.

"Let me ask you this, Gumball. Do you not think your mother feels the same way about you?" Gumball gave him a baffled look. "After the incident at school, would it surprise you if your mother was now afraid of you the way you are afraid of her?"

"I mean," said Gumball. "She wasn't afraid when she stepped in and snapped me out of my rage."

"Gumball," Nicole said. "Of course I had to be brave to stop you, but that doesn't mean I'm not constantly scared and feeling unsettled at least all the time." Gumball thought about the conversation for a moment.