Chapter 16: The Provocation

Gumball tossed and turned all night, not getting a wink of sleep. He had trouble processing that he and Penny were no more. By the hour, the natural light through the curtains of the window got brighter and brighter. Eventually, his alarm clock read "7:00 AM." He rose out of bed, in a very bad mood, to wake his siblings. He first tapped on Darwin's fishbowl.

"Darwin, wake up," Gumball said, aggressively tapping with his claw. Darwin burst awake completely startled, grasping the sides of his head.

"Ugh, Gumball!" Darwin said when he stood up in his fishbowl, holding onto his head. "You know I can't stand it when you tap on the glass."

"Whatever," Gumball grumbled, climbing up to the top bunk. "Hey, Anais, wake up." He tugged on her blanket, and she grasped onto it tighter. "We can do this one of two ways, Anais."

"Just go downstairs, Gumball," said Anais with her eyes still closed. "I'll wake up." Gumball grunted and headed downstairs.

"Wonder what's up with him," said Darwin, putting on his sneakers.

"Beats me," said Anais.

Eventually, they all came downstairs showered and with their teeth brushed, heading to the kitchen table to get breakfast.

"Morning, sunshines," said Nicole. "I got the cereal variety out."

"Thanks, (Mrs.) Mom," said Darwin and Anais simultaneously. Nicole noticed that Gumball did not say a word. Darwin and Anais fixed their cereals and poured milk as Gumball waited impatiently behind them.

"Come on guys," said Gumball annoyed. "It shouldn't take that long to make cereal!"

"We're done now," said Darwin, starting to get annoyed too. "Was that not fast enough for ya?"

"Now, guys," said Nicole. "So anyway, what's everyone's day like?"

"Well, today is my presentation on comets," Anais said. "I've been working on it all week!"

"What the... no!!!" Gumball exclaimed as milk and cereal spilled all over the counter and onto the rug. He growled and threw his fists to his side. He had some milk on his sweater. Nicole got up and walked over, grabbing some paper towels.

"It's okay, sweetheart, I'll clean it up. You go upstairs and change sweaters, okay?" He grumbled as he stomped back upstairs.

"Well, somebody's in a foul mood," said Darwin.

"Who's in a foul mood?" said Richard as he walked in.

"Gumball," replied Anais.

"And I wouldn't mess with it anymore, alright guys?" Nicole pleaded. "You two just have a good day, alright?"

"How bad is it, Nicole?" Richard asked. Suddenly, they all heard a loud thumping coming from upstairs, followed by a scream in aggravation.

"Does that answer your question?" said Nicole. Darwin and Anais finished chugging their cereal and grabbed their lunch sacks in the fridge and headed out the door to wait for the school bus.

"Bye, Mom. Bye, Dad," said Anais as she walked out.

"Bye, Mrs. Mom. Bye, Mr. Dad," said Darwin as he followed her out.

"Bye, guys," said Nicole, saving to them.

"Have a great day at school," said Richard, waving as well.

"I don't know, Richard," said Nicole. "Do you think we should keep Gumball home today? As a safety precaution?"

"Safety precaution?" Richard replied with a slight chuckle. "Come on now, since when is our son dangerous? Oh sure, he'll attack everyone if he's provoked." He started laughing.