Three (Part 1)

THREE (Part 1)

BRYNLEA

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

My father's face appears on the screen as it flicks on. I've only just walked through my door when he starts to talk. It's a Dome-wide message, flickering onto everyone's screen whether they're home or not. The screen is only used for selected music and announcements the President gives. It's possible that it has other functions, but I only use it for music sometimes, aside from my fathers' messages to us.

"Attention Domespeople," He says, sitting very straight in his office chair. "Something strange happened yesterday, stopping all Ceremonies and jobs momentarily. Should you not remember what it is that happened, there's no need to worry. The Matching Ceremonies will continue as planned, and will include all of last nights' Matches. Government Officials will arrive at your door and will explain to you what you need to do, and answer most of your questions. Thank you and have a Dometastic day."

With that, the screen blinks off and silence enters into my Domeshouse once again. Something prickles the back of my mind. I can't recall what happened yesterday. I remember waking up in a chair... but I don't remember the exact conversation I had had, even if I had had a conversation. I remember being strapped down and having a mirror held up to my face, but nothing else really.

"...I was coming here to die..."

I turn around. Did someone speak? Why would they say something like that?

I shake my head to wave the strange thought away and head to my bathroom to clean up.

Lunch comes about an hour later. Chicken, potatoes, and peas. My favorite meal. I finish up and decide to read. We have nothing 'fun', per-say, but I don't mind it. I actually enjoy reading instruction manuals and how things are put together. Many people find that boring, but I guess the enjoyment of reading these kinds of books comes with the job of being a Mechaneer.

I'm halfway through reading the instruction manual of how to rewire gadgets and switches, when my dinner arrives at the door. I scarf it down and finish up the book, my brain throbbing with knowledge.

I put the book away and lay down on the mattress, trying to get my brain to settle down. I just get so excited about learning something new like that.

Eventually my brain quiets down and I'm able to sleep.

o0o0o

The sound of glass cracking explodes in my ears.

Choking.

I'm gasping for air as hands strangle me, oxygen unable to reach my lungs, unable to reach my brain. The woman mumbles something I'm not able to understand, like a wall is muffling her voice.

"Pe..." I don't know whom I'm yelling to. Who am I calling out for?

My brain starts to work quicker, think faster, and I pull the woman's' elbow down to my chest, giving me my moment to break free. I wedge a knee between our bodies, the bone colliding with her stomach. She doubles over and I take a deep breath. I reach up with my arm and watch the bone of my elbow collide with her jaw. She staggers to her left and I turn around to break the glass completely from the window. It leads to a different room, one with moving pictures and pulsing gray matter. It transforms into a bear, a bus, and a spear. And then it morphs from a fish to a boy, his glare making me uneasy.