Two

TWO
MURKAS
- - - - - - - - - - -

"Be still, kid," I snarl at the little boy stuffed in the box behind my bookcase. He has been banging on the walls and shouting for someone to help him, for Eenie to help him for a while now. "Or I can just kill you."

"You can't kill anyone!" The wood and the books muffle his yell. "The only thing you can do is trap people inside of your stupid Dome! You can't control everybody!"

I chuckle at his desperation.

The little boy had resisted the reset command I sent out. Everyone but him and the boy who was born too early had dropped to the ground as their brains were rewired. I had to reset the other boy manually, because resetting someone that is in the middle of the process themselves would badly damage their brain, just like wiping someone for a second time would create holes in their memories. That would create some difficulties in trying to keep the Dome running smoothly.

Now that Eenie is gone, nothing should go wrong.

I step out of my office and into the hallway. Lease walks up to me and shows me her tablet. It's a message from Eenie, or rather, Brynlea, my 'daughter'. It's a report on the Dome wall in the same spot Eenie had touched.

I smile.

I've won.

Placing my daughter's memories inside of her brain was the most genius idea I've ever thought of-and I have plenty of those. It's been a full twenty-four hours and she's done nothing to get herself into trouble. Knowing Brynlea, she'll probably do anything the Government-and I-tell her to do. Brynlea was always ready to serve the Government and never doubted anything that they did or said, even when she was little.

"What do you want to do about this panel, sir?" Lease says. I'm so glad I reset her too, although I may have to undo it to carry something out later. She has no recollection of Eenie, no one does. No one has even heard of her. No one but the child behind my bookcase.

"Nothing," I smile as she walks off.

I've won.

And I'll never have to lose again