ʙʀᴏᴛʜᴇʀ 弟

I couldn't forget about him but was always present in my thoughts always there in the memories I had from the night of the accident, many questions remained without an answer, the mysteries of his disappearance still folded with all the things I didn't know. Those mysteries were just going to persist with no clues to solve them. It was the possibility of his survival that helped me to sleep at night.

It wasn't hard for me to return to my routine after being discharged from the hospital, it took me a few days to return back to my work.

I was glad to be back to the furniture shop again, it was my job for three years now. A job that paid my the bills and helped me to keep a steady income to support my living, it was nothing close to what I dreamed of. But dreams weren't always meant to come true.

I usually arrived earlier than usual to the shop to help with the opening preparations, with the broken arm I was supposed to help the customers choose between the different set of choices instead of the assembling their chosen ones which were a hard task with my useless arm. It was only a distraction, probably away to be out from my father's sight.

It's not like it was actually going to happen not when father and I kept contact with each other, I always knew if father called I have to go see him, no matter what the day it is.

It's not that I hated my father, but I had my personal reasons to have my own independency away from his kingdom, and that kingdom was the Daehyun Hospital in Seoul. A place where best doctors worked together in 'perfect harmony', somewhere that residents doctors fight to spend their residency in. My father was the chairman of that place and he was trying to get me prepared for the leading position after him, but it wasn't what I wanted.

I could see him walking toward the table where I set. As usual, he looked overdressed, he always looked that way even in a t-shirt, he was a man with charm, he knew how to give good impressions and to keep it in mind who's in the charge. He was a workaholic, it's something you can read with his constant looking at the time and his wearing of expensive watches. He was almost reaching his sixties it's easy to mistake him for forties with his dark natural hair and his sharp features telling that he wasn't going to give up on his job anytime soon.

"What happened to you?" He asked referring to my arm.

"Oh, I fell. It was dark." I said and it wasn't the whole truth, but it saved me the storytelling.

"You were always careless with your steps, you have to be careful!" I smiled pleased with his caring tone, I wasn't a child anymore but he insisted to treat me as one.

"You look good, father," I told him when he avoided looking at me, he never knew how to respond to compliments especially the one made by the people he cared for, they made him uncomfortable and embarrassed him. I remember his awkward smile whenever I thanked him for something, it was typical for a non-sentimental type of man.

"I heard you been filling for the night shift in that shop of yours. Is that right?"

"Yes," I answered I wasn't really surprised with him knowing even when I didn't really tell him. But I couldn't help feeling uncomfortable with the topic.

I understood his needs to make sure I was making the right decisions, even if it meant making them for me. I knew better than to fight dad. He was hard to please and even harder to talk to. I found myself sitting across the man listening to his criticisms as we had our lunch.

He wanted me back to where I belonged, he wanted me to be the doctor he raised me to be. He couldn't understand my need to be as far as possible from this job. He was probably heard my demand to quit my job. But I was sure he never listened to what I had to say.

"...could have been something special. Wasted opportunity, that’s what you are." He insisted.