Chapter 19:On the trail towards the light

Someone bumped me by the back. Our back meets together and we both spun in our heels. It was John. We pointed each other with open mouths, preparing ourselves to say something.

"John."

"Sherlock."

We both exclaimed in once. I was relieved that it was him and he too was secretly working on it. Mary followed behind my back while Scarlette came out of the dark shadowy trees with a flashlight and went behind John. So, everyone was working in the case.

"Not only me and Mary were doing the investigation." I said.

"Shut up, we found a piece of paper that Scarlette and I believed were from one of the gangs. It says here at the smoky walls with a one block missing. This is surely the place."

"Well done, John."

"Oh, don't forget this, Sherlock." He suddenly punched me in the face and I did not see that one coming...so soon. I groaned in pain and support my nose. It didn't bleed but it was admirable of him to punch me. Scarlette tries to stop John while Mary helped me to stand. John was still enraged. "That's for leaving me to be almost arrested for such vandalism I didn't commit. Let me punch you in the kidneys! That cheekbones of yours!" He snapped and reached his arms at me like a caged animal.

I smirked and raised my hands at the level of my chest. "Okay, sorry for that one. I have warned you but you did not listen, John." I reasoned out.

He stops and cools himself. "Fine, what now?" He asked.

"I have no idea, I think we're lost." I admitted.

(Scarlette's POV)

"I have no idea, I think we're lost." said Sherlock.

That one's a bad news for me slightly, I don't appreciate being lost in a creepy forest. In fact, we shouldn't all be here. I gulped hard.

"Try left." Mary suggested beside Sherlock's side. I felt happy when Mary spoke, she's starting to become herself again. "We don't know what's left and what's right. Do you think stars will help us?" John said, looking up. We all look up and saw no stars to guide us, just darkness rolled in the skies. "I see no stars, John." Sherlock observed. "Great. What are we gonna do?" He asked.

"I'd say," I finally spoke. "Since John and I came from here and you guys there, it's either we'll check this one or that one. What does the message say again?"

"Smoky walls with one block missing. A tree with a cutted root, follow its route." Both Mary and John recited.

They were both surprise and red crimson blush filled their faces. I grinned while Sherlock clasped his hands, breaking the moment and silence of the forest. "A cutted root, like grafting or for a purpose?" He asked. "Both are for purposes, Sherlock." I eyed him.

"It also says 'hole in the trunk, let thy hand sunk in it. Will you get trick or treat?' quite poetic isn't it?" Mary said.

"Yeah, it is. I really wonder if it's a warning or what." I said.

"Happy Halloween...dull, isn't it?" Sherlock groaned.

"Who said anything about 'Halloween'?" John scolds him.

Soon, everyone's chatting and talking. We all certainly forgot the reason why we are here. So, on the forest of nowhere with moonlight shining down at us, we decided to give it a break.

"Alright, alright. It looks like we forgot why are we here for." Sherlock was the one who stopped the chatting. "Fine, we'll split into two groups and---"