Chapter Two

The Haze Collection: Blue Flames

Copyright © 2012 Christine Summer

All Rights Reserved ® 2012

Chapter Two

That whole night was like a nightmare that when I think about it, I always try to push it away in the back of my mind. It felt so surreal that sometimes I wish it was not my memory.

“Effie!” Perry exclaimed when I entered the café, feeling happy because I could taste the coffee beans brewing in the kitchen.

“Hey Perry, good morning.” I greeted as I hung my coat and got the apron on my waist.

He smiled brightly. “Yes, every day is a good morning just seeing your pretty face.” He said with a wink.

I fake gagged. We laughed afterwards, cracking up. Even Mrs. Hawthorne, the lovely owner of Heaven’s Café, can’t help but smile at us. We always tease each other and Perry always blushes because his flirting skills’ rusted.

Abbie rolled her eyes at us when she came in, her strawberry blonde locks in a ponytail.

“Good morning, Abbie.” I greeted her with a smile.

She just nodded and went into the counter. That’s just how she is; she acts tough and seems hostile to me though I know she loves me to death. That’s why we’re best friends since we were babies.

I started mopping the floor and sang. I mean, they don’t complain at my singing, unlike Beau. Though I get the occasional glares from Abbie, she just loves to mess around, I think.

When the café opened at exactly eight, the customers rush in, though there aren’t a lot. Just a few people who came to eat the yummy cakes and the addicting coffee, comes. Occasionally, a few teenagers come.

I waited at tables, which I came used to in the past three years I worked here.

“Hi Effie.” Robert greeted me with a smile while holding his newspaper.

“Hi Robert, what would you like?” I asked, getting my notepad out and a pen, ready to scribble his orders. He is one of the oldest customers in the café.

He chuckled. “You know it already.” He pointed out.

I smiled at him brightly. “Just thought you might change your mind.” I said, wriggling my eyebrows.

He rolled his eyes at my enthusiasm. I skipped to the counter and put the orders in.

This is how my usual day works out; I work as a waitress so that I could support my father and I. We get by and that is what matters.

While I was wiping a table with a wash cloth, the front door opened, the bells chiming. I heard Abbie talk to the customer, though I don’t hear any response from the customer.

I looked up and saw a guy in a big coat and a hat with sunglasses. Huh. He is staring at me and I felt a shiver ran down my spine, leaving me frozen where I was. It was the same feeling you get when you see a predator ready to kill you. The blood drained out of my face as I stared back at him.

His skin was the palest white and he had a complacent smile on his face. I frowned at him as if he had a little joke playing out and I was in it. What is up with this dude?

His curly red hair is visible under his brown hat. He is holding a walking stick and he looks a bit smug.

“Sir, what can I help you?” Abbie asked politely, though she seems a bit annoyed by the customer’s arrogance.