M for murder

A/N: Dediacted to jolyssa123, because she has read this book thrice!! How awesome is that? People I need your support so please, please vote for every story in this book. Remember its in the Wattys!

"David I am pregnant"

These four words changed David Freeman's life forever. He was a budding writer at 35. His career had just taken off. Fame had just touched the ti[p of his little finger. He wasn't ready for this. He wasn't about to give it all up and let his career take a backseat while he wiped snot from a brat's nose. No matter even though the brat came from his loins. No he wasn't about to give it all up.

"Audra, you need to abort"

"What? No!"

"Audra look, I really really love you and I am willing to commit but not right now"

"What is wrong with now?"

"Well my career is about to take off, I can't afford any distractions"

"Is that what I am to you now? A distraction"

"Audra you won't understand"

"No I understand this very well, very well indeed"

"Don't worry David, this problem will be taken care of and I am going to be out of your life as well"

"Audra don't you think you are over reacting a little?"

"Over reacting? Really?"

"Audra....."

But by then Audra had walked out of his life, slamming the door shut.

He sighed and felt a twinge of regret. He had met Audra in Haiti while he was researching voodoo practices. It had been a whirlwind romance that had lasted for about a year and a half and he felt sad that it had to end this way. He wasn't ready to be a father yet and he thought Audra should have respected it.

But how on earth did she conceive? She was supposed to be on the pills. His eyes widened as he realised how perfect Audra's pregnancy coincided with his tryst with fame. He slouched on his couch and promptly fell asleep.

As days morphed into weeks and weeks into months and months into years David had become a well accomplished writer. By now Audra was a distant memory to him.. One night after celebrating the success of his latest book, David lay in his bed. He was tired and wanted to catch some sleep before dawn. As he lay there trying to fall asleep he heard a whisper.

"David"

He woke up with a start and looked around. He dismissed it and blamed his current fatigued state of mind. Just as he was about to fall asleep he heard the same voice again. He got up and walked around his sprawling apartment. He tried to look if any of his guests had stayed back and were pulling his leg. 

But there was absolutely nobody around. He poured himself another drink and drank it quickly. He felt his eyelids drooping and walked to his room. This time he fell asleep as soon as his head touched the pillow. 

The next morning David woke up to the dreadful singing of his housekeeper. He tried to drown out her voice but he couldn't.  He sat up in his bed clutching his head.

"Maria!" he tried to yell but his voice came out in a croak.

He had no idea why he had hired her. Oh wait! she was from Haiti, he was being an  old sentimental fool but still the way she talked reminded him of Audra. Though she was 50 years old but she was a gem when it came to housekeeping and taking care of David. She fussed over him like a mother hen.