Bambi's Mother

*Bella's POV*

Who could be knocking? I wasn't expecting anyone, and Emily hadn't mentioned anything. I opened the door and frowned when Dash smiled at me.

"Yo."

"What do you want?"

"It's not what I want. It's what Bambi wants."

"What?"

Dash sighed, as if there was something difficult, he had to say. This was the first time I'd seen him nervous or annoyed like this. Not gonna lie, my curiosity had been peaked.

"Look, Bella, Bambi would like you to pick her up from school today."

"Huh?"

I was not expecting that.

"Okay? I suppose I can. Why though?"

"I don't know! I've been asking myself the same question all day. She's known you only two weeks. She's known me her whole life, but now she's replacing me? All those years! Those sleepless nights? Do they mean nothing?!"

I laughed. "I'm just cooler than you are."

"In the literal sense only."

"Oh please."

"There's no competition."

"No competition because you've already lost."

"Wow, okay then. You know what? I'm going to walk away. Be at the school by three. I hope you have a bad day."

"Thank you. I hope you have a bad day too."

"I already am."

I couldn't help but laugh. He always tries to win our little battles of wit, but he always loses. I fear the consequences if he were ever to win.

He chuckled like he always does and smiled boyishly. "Alright then. I'm off. See ya round."

"Bye."

He walked away and I closed the door. I'd been cleaning when he'd knocked and now, I returned to my chores, but I quickly finished. I checked the clock and saw that it was nearly two o'clock. He'd said be at the school by three. The walk there might take me ten minutes. I shrugged. I got nothing better to do.

"Em, I'm going out for a while! I'll be back later!"

"Okay, have fun!" Emily called from somewhere deep within the house.

I walked out the door and headed towards school. It was a pleasant walk. The sun was shining, but it wasn't too hot. It was autumn time, so the air was cool, and all the trees looked really pretty. I started singing quietly as I walked. It felt good to sing again.

I reached the school before long. I was almost an hour early, but I didn't mind. I sat with a happy smile and I waited.

******

"Bella!"

Bambi ran up with a huge grin. I laughed and hugged her.

"Hey, did you have a good day at school?"

"It was alright. Kinda boring."

I chuckled. "Don't tell your dad that."

I turned and started walking back towards home.

"Um, Bella?"

"Yeah?"

"Can we... can we just walk around town for a while?"