Chapter 5

Reagan died the next day. She had been drinking too much alcohol and her liver had failed. Levi, Cath and all Reagan’s family were the only people allowed at the funeral. Levi and Cath had written a eulogy for their lost friend. Cath started to write: Reagan may have been moody and mad but she was a good person at heart. Once you knew how nice she was, she let you in and that was nice because she was such a nice person because she was because because because…

“Cather, why don’t I take over writing this?” Levi said, sweetly, as if he was talking to a 3 year old.

“Because because because because because” Cath mumbled. “Because because because…”

She stood up and pushed her chair back, wiping tears from her cheek. “I’m sorry, but please excuse me for a sec.” Cath ran out of the room into the fresh garden air.

…………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………

Beep Beep. Beeeep Beeeep. BEEEEEP BEEEEP. Cath’s phone rang with Wren’s smiling picture flashing on the screen. Cath pressed decline and sat down on the grass. She played with daisies and wept, wiping her eyes on the sleeve of her hoodie. Beep Beep. Beeeep Beeeep. BEEEEEEP BEEEEEEP. Her phone was ringing again and it was Wren again. Cath thought that it must be important so she picked it up.

“Cath! Cath!” Wren shouted urgently. “You need to come back to Campus! Now! Hurry!”

What? What’s going on Wren!”

“It’s Dad. He’s…. worse. I think this may be…. The end. I know you’re about to go into Reagan’s funeral, and I know that she was your best friend, but I think Dad is our main priority right now.”

“Oh my God. No. But I was going to do a eulogy! Dad will be fine, right?”

There was a pause that felt like days and days on end. “I just think that you should come up to the hospital with me. To say goodbye.” Wren stumbled through the last few words, and hung up.

“No. No. Wren don’t hang up on me! Noooooo….”

Cath lay down and wept even harder, kicking at the grass and feeling like everything was collapsing on top of her. The stars, the sun, the sky, the universe. She felt crushed and empty, like a black hole, floating alone in the universe, with everything good enough to know to stay away taking the long way around her. She had to stop the crushing. Something was squashing her so hard, she couldn’t breathe…. Blackness. Blackness everywhere. Swirling round her like death. Blackness…. Darkness…

Please comment on how you feel! What do you think is happening to Cath? Will she visit her dad? Will her dad die? These are not my characters.