13. mother and daughter

Life after returning to Vancouver was beautifully different

Life after returning to Vancouver was beautifully different. The dust had somewhat settled since the weeks after returning home. They both came to the conclusion that keeping their relationship relatively quiet was the best option. In terms of keeping things silent, he hadn't even told Katie yet. Deep down, he knew that she probably already knew just by deducing the oh so obvious clues. 

She was as smart as a whip, that one. Not just smart, but incredibly observant. She also knew just how to get on her father's nerves with her wit and sarcasm alone. He knew that she probably figured out his newfound relationship status the moment he had walked in the door. The positive side to that was that it made breaking any sort of news to her a whole lot easier because she literally already knew. 

One thing that had concerned him the most was the idea of her becoming attached to Winona. Not that he didn't want her to because half of the time, he was the one who provoked the idea of her spending time with Winona. Rather, he was afraid that if things didn't work out, she potentially lose the only mother figure she had known besides her grandmother. 

An evil voice in the back of his mind told him that pushing Katie and Winona closer together meant ensuring the safety of her being in his life forever— even if it wasn't romantic forever. Thankfully, the angel on his shoulder was louder than the devil, and he knew that wasn't true. He wanted them to be close for their own sake. He knew that even though Winona hadn't mentioned the fact that she had a child a long time ago, she was probably still emotionally healing from it. He also knew that even though Katie never said it, she would love to have a mother figure in her life. 

Do two positives outweigh a negative? God, he hoped so. 

"Knock knock," Winona smiled as she peeked into his trailer, pulling him out of his reverie. "Have you happened to have seen my boyfriend anywhere around here? I can't seem to find him." she teased, shutting the door behind her. 

"Hmm," he crinkled his nose as he played along. "What does this boyfriend happen to look like? Maybe I have seen him." his arms wrapped around her waist as he stood up, leaning down to capture her lips with his own. 

"Well," she giggled, pressing her palms to his cheeks as she kissed him between her words. "He's tall, he's handsome, he's sexy as hell, and I think he might just have the bluest eyes I have ever seen. Surely, you must've seen him around somewhere. He's pretty memorable." 

Just as another round of laughter breaks from her chest, he leaned down again and peppered her cheek with kisses. "I think I may have seen him hanging around the absolutely most beautiful woman in the world."

When she pulled him back down for another kiss, it wasn't one meant to be seductive or sexy. Rather, she took it long and slow to show her appreciation towards him. Over the past three weeks, both of them had been attached at the hip. Kisses and touches and pretty much everything else came the moment they had even a sliver of private time. He thanked whatever higher power in the universe it was that had decided she would live just across the street from him. At least that way they were able to make more time— even if 'more time' was at three in the morning during a stealthy sneak out.