38

"I'm guessing you didn't send an apology card?"

ETHAN DOLAN

Worry engulfed me as Jared sped down the street, surely hitting the speeding limits, however I told him to drive faster, needing to get to Cassidy as quick as I could.

I had no clue what happened to her and I tried not to make any assumptions, knowing it would only worry me even more. She was okay, that's all I knew. However, I wasn't sure about her friend. My guess was that she'd been kidnapped.

"You need to tell me what's going on, Ethan." Jared glanced between the road and I.

I ran a hand through my hair, pulling aggressively at the ends."Something's happened to Cassidy."

He raised an eyebrow, waiting for me to continue.

"She called me just before you came in. She said that they've been there, in her apartment. I don't know who she means, but I think it was Anderson. Sounds like something he'd do." I explained.

"You mean you know it was Anderson. Because he's the only person besides me and the guys, that know Cassidy is your weakness, know that the key to tormenting you, is to torment her." Jared said.

"That's not it." I lied, even know it was true. He was right. It was obviously Anderson and his men and that's why Cassidy called me, causing my heart to ache. Nobody knew how to push my buttons as much as he did.

I strive to protect Cassidy, and Anderson knew that. After all, I was the one who exposed her to this lifestyle, the least I could do was protect her. But it was different this time. Cassidy wasn't the victim, it was Paige, her best friend.

"Let's just say...Anderson knows how to push my buttons." I settled with that, knowing Jared was right but I'd never let him know that. He raised an eyebrow, I knew he didn't buy it, but he left it at that.

Finally, Jared pulled into Cassidy's apartment complex and parked the car. I jumped out of the car and practically sprinted through the lobby and up the stairs. I couldn't wait for the elevator.

Jared was right behind me and I stopped outside her apartment door. Not bothering to knock, I tried to push myself through but the door was locked.

"Cassidy, it's me." I knocked. The door swung open and Cassidy stood in front of me, tear stained cheeks and smudged makeup.

I stepped inside, my eyes scanning the apartment. It was clear something had been here, but it didn't look like the place was trashed on purpose. It looked like someone did it in a struggle.

I felt Cassidy step into me. My arms snaked around her immediately, pulling her closer and she buried her head into my shirt. I squeezed her gently, assuring her that she was safe with me.

I could feel Jared's eyes burning in the back of my head. I wanted to cuss him out, but I didn't. I just let my chin rest on the top of her head as she let the tears fall. "You need to tell me what happened." I said, as she pulled away from me, my arms still holding onto me.

Jared closed the door and the three of us sat down on the couch. "I went to visit my mom yesterday, and ended up staying the night at her house. I came home this morning and..." She inhales, shutting her eyes to keep the tears in. "And she was gone. The place was a mess and this note— I had no idea what it meant." She explained.

"The note?" I raised an eyebrow. Jared stood up and surveyed the apartment, he walked into the kitchen and came back out with a piece of paper in his hand.