4. The First Time

Josephine

I follow Brenda and Kelly into the store, racks of expensive clothes and jewelry line the walls and it's as if the room is shouting about how broke I am. I probably couldn't even afford a t-shirt from this place.

Brenda, while still dealing with the fact her boyfriend crashed his car, was okay. A little shaken, but other than that, she's fine.

Donna was supposed to meet up with us, but then had to call a rain check as David decided to take her on a surprise date. I'm sure we'd see it on Snapchat later on.

The two girls rush to the corner and I follow them, "Jo. What size are you?" Kelly ask as she begins to skim through the tops.

"Um, medium I think." I reply and join in on looking through the tops. I find a few, a red flannel that ties in the front, a baggy zip-up sweatshirt that would make even Billie Ellish cringe, and a crop top that stops right above my belly button and has no straps.

I go to shorts and bathing suits and grab a cute, siren red bikini. It's tight against my breast, but I look so fucking good in it.

In the dressing room, I come to the decision that I'll get one outfit and a bathing suit.

I pick a small pair of denim shorts, a little longer than the ones I wore a few days ago, then the crop top, but in black.

"Damn, Jo, you look hot." Kelly says as the three of us stand in front of the mirrors, judging out outfits.

"You Guys are the ones who look hot, I look like shit." I reply and pull down the fabric of the top slowly.

"Josephine, stop beings so negative. You're beautiful." Brenda tells me and goes back into her dressing room to change, I turn to one side, then to the other.

"So have you met any cute boys yet?" Kelly ask as she goes back into her dressing room and I go back into mine.

"Um- yeah. He's pretty cute. I saw him at school. We only talked for a second though." I lie. First lie of the day. Why am I lying?

"Did you get his name?" Brenda shouts from her room.

"No, it was only for a moment." I lie again.

I remember exactly what he looked like. He burned hotter than the California sun. Hotter than the sun itself. He was perfect.

"That sucks, maybe you'll see him again?" Kelly suggest as I strip out of the new clothes and pull on my own top. I shrug off the shorts and pull on my skirt. It stops right above my knees.

I imagine Hero on his knees, his head under my skirt, his tongue lapping slowly like a thirsty dog.

I stop the sexual thoughts before they go anywhere, and I grab the clothes I plan on purchasing. I join my friends near the register.

"Lunch or Starbucks next?" Kelly ask as she hands the clerk her card. Brenda steps to the next available register and sets her basket on the counter.

"Starbucks." Brenda and I say in unison, Kelly chuckles and I step into the where she had been checking out. I hand the clerk my card and she scans it. I look down to the number pad and type in my pin, then wait a few seconds for the purchase to go through. The lady hands me my bag and card, and the three of us walk out of the store.

As we walk toward Starbucks, a boom echoes through the air, I stop for a second, looking around as everyone else does. It's silent for a minute.