CHAPTER 17

I gussy up in a black tuxedo suit and white collar wing shirt. I attire this with a black Gucci shoes and a bow tie. I like the face in the mirror. I put on my golden wrist watch, pick my car keys then leave the house. I stop at a florist and purchase some white roses. I then proceed to pick Maggie at her apartment in Runda Estate. We are attending Justin's cocktail party. The time by my watch is 5.30 p.m

The traffic is clear so meandering through the city is not the usual hustle. In twenty minutes I am parking in front of Maggie's gate. I honk then wait patiently. Actually calling was a better idea but she was expecting me. I am quite excited about having Maggie along.

I wait for a couple of minutes. Before my patience runs out, a figure appears from the gates in glasses. There she is looking heavenly. Maggie is dressed to the nines in a form-fitting, gold sequin dress. The deep v neckline emphasize on her cleavage. It seems like it was specifically made for her. Her curves and gorgeous figure are quite an appeal. She appears much taller in stilettos. She has accessorized that with golden earrings, bracelet and a thin necklace. A glistening eye shadow glow on her eyelids and her lips are beetroot red.

I stand puzzled with my mouth agape as Maggie approaches the car. I imagine I am sailing in a world of fantasy.

"Hey, Joe. That was rather quick," she speaks in a sweet golden voice. I recover from my stupor. "You look very beautiful," I remark. She blushes then utters a quick thank you. I actually forgot to open her door. I slide out of the car holding the roses. I cuddle her in a warm embrace. Her body perfume is tantalizing.

When we break from the hug, I give her the flowers. She looks at them then her eyes drift to my face. "This is very sweet of you, thank you," she speaks in a sweet girlish tone.

"Allow me to compliment your dressing. You look awesome," Maggie remarks. We remain silent with our eyes locked. "I am flattered, thanks," I reply blushing.

"Shall we..," I usher her to the front passenger seat of the car. I slide behind the wheel and zoom off.

Justin's Villa is our destination. It's in the heart of an opulent estate in the suburbs of Nairobi, Karen Estate. We leave the city and are now driving into the serene estate.

"How long have you known Justin," Maggie rekindles a conversation. "For quite some time now. Actually a year to be precise," I reply trying hard not to stare. She is adoringly cute tonight. "We are doing business together," I quickly add.

"You must be lucky enough to have such a big fish on your hook. The guy has the might," she chimes in. "Yeah, he is a treasured client. I am working hard to keep him on board," I reply.

"Maggie, may I ask you something," I steal a glimpse at her. She now faces me with her face lit in a smile. "Sure ok. You can ask me anything," she replies. I give her a long look as though ascertaining whether to ask the question nagging through my mind.

"I know you are having a successful career as a lawyer. Tell me about your love life," I dig. Her smile dwindles away. What is left is just a blank stare at me. She seems to ponder deeply.

"I would love to but now is not the right time. May be some time later on, if you don't mind," she replies softly. I press her palm in mine softly. She returns the pleasure.

"You don't want to veer off the road, do you," she jokes. I giggle and get the hand back to the wheel. I love how graceful she looks. We hold funny petty talks for the rest of the way.

I am finally switching to a single lane leading to a spectacular mansion. It is surrounded by beautiful concrete wall and a colourful hedge. We stop at the huge metallic gates manned by two uniformed guards.

"It's a beautiful mansion," Maggie exclaims looking impressed. "This is one of his six abodes in the country," I add to her awe. "Justin is a real spendthrift," she points out.

"He earns equally much," I point out. A guard approaches the car so I lower my window shield. He peeps into the car then demands for my invitation card. I give it to him. After scrutinizing it the gates flip open. I drive through to a beautiful compound. There is a vast parking where dozens of fuel guzzlers are parked. I can guess politicians, rich business people and prominent make up his invitation list.

A lanky guard minces in our direction to show us where to park. The mansion rests on three acres piece of land. There is a classy swimming pool a few yards from the parking lot. The compound has a cover of well-trimmed dark green grass lanes and flowers. A few palm trees are scattered strategically across the compound. The overall effect is an amazing beauty.

We are led to the backyard by an usher. It has been well set up to hold numerous white tables and seats around them. Many of them are fully occupied save for a few at the farthest corner. We sit around one for four. Graceful music reverberates across the compound. The disc jockey seems to enjoy his task as he plays some classical music and country music. It's quite convenient majority of those in attendance are beyond early forties.

At a far corner dozens of chefs are preparing food. Several grills have some meat roasting. A waiter serves us some wine. We sit engulfed in a conversation. Soon enough, some food is brought to the table. We resume eating. Maggie chews so delicately that I almost stop eating and stare.

"Ouch! That was uncalled for," I wince as I withdraw my foot below the table. "You know it's rude to stare. I can't even swallow," Maggie protests. "I think you fractured my leg," I feign a cry. She laughs and tosses a chunk of meat into my mouth.