Awaken

"Only light can dispel darkness. The opposite is true as well. Eight cycles have passed, we must awaken Bulan from his slumber tonight. I need you Sidapa to reach into the void, and carry my grandson out of his confinement." Kaptan said to Sidapa who stood beside him while Haliya guarded their presence.

"Will he stand with Haliya tonight to light the skies?" Sidapa asked the glowing god who had his hands on the translucent moon where Bulan slept soundly.

"No. He is still too weak. And even when he regains his full strength... Bulan will never climb the night sky ever again."

"Grandfather!" Haliya exclaimed in surprise.

"It has to be this way my child. Only one of you can stand guard each night. In the event that something happens to you, it is best that Bulan is kept safe to take your place. Until Mayari presents me with new light bearers, I cannot take any chances. You understand, don't you Haliya." Kaptan explained.

Haliya nodded, fully understanding the extent of her duties now. She felt her eyes wander to the shores where Kuna sat, humming a tune as he grilled some skewered fish.

She knew that she can never be as free to wander the beaches aimlessly, and simply enjoy being careless. She envied Mayari now, and understood why she was afraid to lose the life she had with her husband.

"It is time." Kaptan used his lightning bolt so summon the translucent moon from between planes, as Sidapa used his dark powers to pierce the light and separate Bulan's body from the shroud of light that covered him.

Slowly the brightly glowing body of Bulan was brought back to existence, cradled lovingly in Sidapa's arms.

"He sleeps." Sidapa whispered, a smile forming on his lips.

Kaptan noticed the look of pure love on Sidapa's face. He knew what was happening. And he was not against it.

"Bring him to mount Madjaas. He should stay in the safety of your presence until he has fully recovered. Afterwhich, he is free to return to my palace in the sky." Kaptan said, taking his leave.

Haliya reached over to kiss her brother's cheek as he slept. "Take care of him. I will visit soon."

Sidapa nodded, and started his decent. The fireflies swarmed around Sidapa, eager to check on Bulan and welcome him back.

"Stupid insects! Light the way lest I crash against a tree!" And the fireflies immediately formed the pathway once more leading to Sidapa's own mountain, still moving unsteadily as they giddly tried to sneak a look at the sleeping moon in death's arms.

Sidapa carefully hovered over the magical lake, the mermaids had their arms outstretched trying to reach for Bulan, happily giggling.

Sidapa carefully lowered himself and Bulan into the water's caress.

"Careful. Don't crowd too close, give him space please." The mermaids were surprised, looking at each other and disbelieving that Sidapa said please. They started laughing at Sidapa's momentary weakness.

"You dare laugh at your lord and master's embarrassment?" Sidapa splashed water on the mermaids and they retaliated in return, happy for Bulan's return.

"Big hands? I missed you, my black cloud." Bulan whispered in his sleep.

"As I you... my brilliant moon. As I, you." And Sidapa held the moon god even closer, while the mermaids and wood nymphs looked on in awe.