0.35: it's a smile, nonetheless

[ all my friends - snakehips ]
35 | LIKED, PAST TENSE.

"oh god these balloons," i pushed them down from the car hiding the glittery engravings of 'get well soon' upon them.

as i wished letting go of the bubbling fear inside my stomach, was as easy as that of a balloon string slipping through a child's unclenched fingers. floating.

feeling lighter and ridding the constant pressure and harsh pounding of my heart, as the sea levelled out again.

but i was the anchor of my ship, falling into the depths beneath me, as the pressure thickened leaving myself unable to cut through it, though i still drowned like a dead weight.

"i'm sorry," emma cackled from the drivers seat seemingly dulling my once overactive imagination.

"she just seemed really worried about you, thought it might make you feel supported," she spoke in a high pitched overly-cheerful tone, as she reflected on her mother's antics.

"she said you like the colour purple," the blonde stated with a protruding smile, her washed out eyes focused solely on the road before her.

"liked, past tense," i clarified flicking the string that had fallen off my cardigan, unable to articulate my true feelings towards anything bright or hopeful nowadays.

"it's black now," i deadpanned, struggling a trickled laugh when the girl looked my way with raised eyebrows and a mocking gaze.

"ahh, i see you're going through a goth phase," the blonde haired boy in the back seat chimed suddenly, resting his head around my chair, and his elbow upon emma's armrest; much to her displeasure.

"i'm sorry, who invited him," pointing towards the boy with a sly outburst of a grin, i held in the giggle rising between my tightly knit lips, though hooked air caught in my throat.

"i thought we could use a boost in morale, and caleb," the hazel eyed girl paused briefly, her fingertips tapping along the leather steering wheel rapidly, "he's funny."

turning the air in the car on, i began peeling the remaining stickers off my water bottle, needing to focus on more than one thing at a time.

"also," emma continued with a brightly lit smile mimicking that of the rising sun, "he was the only person i could get ahold of."

"oi," the boy squeaked, lightly tapping the dirty blondes exposed shoulder with the back of his hand, a toothy grin erupting on his once downturned lips, as not long after he wiped some of the slightly curled hair from his face.

"anyway, how are you feeling," he lent upon the back of my seat, hanging off it as he shuffled to lean his chin upon my shoulder with a provocative smile.

"wonderful," a lighthearted venom warping my words through enclosed teeth.

"and you know the way you're swinging off of my headrest, every now and then, is really helping the pounding head," i spoke sarcastically with narrowed eyes.

"glad i can be of service," the blond responded in the same tone, bowing mockingly with hypnotising eyes that could capture those with the quickest glance.

"my god," emma groaned loudly with a slight giggle, using her finger to turn the music down on her dial pad, "you both have the same humour and i don't think i can deal with two katherine's."

faking an offended look, it only added to the girls amused smile, "to be honest, i can't even deal with myself," crying out with a heaved laugh that was soon to fizzle out into a comforting silence that embraced my shivers.