When the Dust Settles

It was already beginning to feel warmer and yet he felt cold. Colder than he ever felt atop the wall or beyond it. It felt as if the blood in his fingers and settled and his heart's steady thump in his chest had come to a sudden halt. They had won, he had killed the Night King. But it didn't feel like it did as he searched. He didn't see Drogon anywhere resting in the battlefield and very quickly panicked.

Since the revelation of his parentage he had avoided Daenerys for weeks and only now, when she might be lost forever had he realized his mistake. The gash in his leg was huge and his blood leaked amongst the snow, blending with the rest that was already splattered amongst the open field.

The men around him were all being tended to or being put out of their misery. But Jon didn't hear any of them, all he focused on was finding her and reassuring himself that she was okay and he still had time. Time to apologize for being a fool, time to beg her to forgive him, and time to be with her for as much time as he had.

"Jon!"

He turned quickly to see youngest sister Arya. Her face was coated with blood spatter and her cloak was covered with cuts, along with her body. She was limping quickly towards him as she quickly enveloped him in a tight embrace.

He hissed in pain in his leg and she quickly pulled away and began pulling him along with her. "We need to get you help."

"No," he said as he pulled away and attempted to continue in the direction he came before being stopped once again by her small hand.

"Jon, this isn't a time to be stupid you need help!"

"No!" he yelled. "I need to find her!"

She realized whom he was speaking of and quickly gave up hope of stopping him from finding her. It was no secret as much as they had tried to keep it that way that the two rulers were rather enamoured with each other to put it mildly. It honestly got quite annoying for Arya to look between the two of them at meetings as they looked at each other like lovesick children.

She still found it hard to believe that Jon was lovesick. He'd never once shown interest when they were children and now he was completely in love with the Dragon Queen. She assumed she must be a special woman but unfortunately Arya hadn't found the time to get to know her.

Jon's hope continued to dwindle more and more as he continued searching the fields. It was reignited when he heard the unmistakable roar of Drogon. When he looked up, he saw the great black beast descending unsteadily from the clouds and onto the ground close to Jon.

The men around all stared on in terror and some squeezed the hilts of their swords so hard that their knuckles were paler than the snow. But Jon sprinted as fast as he could, ignoring the stabbing pain in his leg. He could only faintly hear the shouting protests of his men as he continued approaching Drogon but he didn't listen to them as got closer and closer.

When he looked upon the dragon's back he was back to being hopeless when he saw it unoccupied. "Where is she?" he asked.

Drogon merely looked saddened after Jon asked as if he actually understood what he said. Jon's breaths were coming out shorter and far more rapid than before and he was on the verge of just hopping in Drogon's mouth and allow him to have his dinner when Sam's voice broke him from his thoughts.

"Jon! We need to get your leg treated!" he yelled as he quickly approached him.

Jon simply brushed past him, "Gather men we need to search for the Queen!"

"Jon all the men are either dead or on the verge of it. Sit down you need treatment!"

"I will not sit down whilst she's still out there!" he yelled over his shoulder as Sam continued to follow him and urge him to stop.