The Story Of Grasstail Page 2

As they reached the stream, Grasstail could already tell that there was no prey anywhere near there. She skidded to a halt and opened her mouth to let the scent flow over her scent glands, nothing. She looked over to Windfall her face was covered with worry. "Where did it all go?" Windfall asked, "Well, the snow, it's been heavy on the ground like this for more than two sunrises."

"Should we go and try to find some rabbits on the moor?"

Grasstail saw the despair in her sisters eyes, she knew what she was think "It's only the beginning of leaf bear, and it's already this bad?!"

"Worth a shot." She answered as she jumped the stream and raced off towards the wide open snow covered moor with Windfall right behind her. As they neared the old Wind clan camp, the ground started to slope down into the dark hallow. She stopped and sniffed, she swung her head towards her sister and said "Fox."

"Not just fox, rabbit, but it's stale." Windfall meowed, Grasstail sighed and looked around her and, in the distance surrounded by a haze of white snow, an orange blob. Swiftly moving in their direction, closer and closer it came, but she still couldn't make it out. Then she realized "FOX!" she meowed at her sister, and through her into the old hallow, or Wind clan camp. "Ow!" Windfall squeaked, before Grasstail shoved her tail over her mouth. The black legs of the fox hovered right where they were standing moments ago. then It moved on and Grasstail waited a few moments before she poked her head out and flicked the snow of her ear.