24. The Engagement Party

"A love they dare not name," I whisper. 

"What did you say?"

"Oh, nothing! I'm not romantic, Carey, I don't think love's important and I'll never betray Ravenscrag for it."

We round a bend, and wind our way along a twisting road, passing an inn, several shops and some houses before reaching a narrow lane, bordered with cottages, souvenir shops and a tiny museum. 

Mary Brooke's gift shop is situated a little way up the lane

Above and behind the shop front are the somewhat limited living quarters. 

"It's only a little place," Carey says apologetically. "I'm afraid you may feel a little cramped.' 

"I shan't mind so long as I'm not intruding," I say a little bitterly, still smarting over Cousin Mark's indifference. 

Mary comes running out to welcome me.

"Welcome, my dear," she says kindly. "We're so happy to have you." 

Her little boy, David, brings me to the backyard, where I reconcile with Tris and Sol, whose rapturous welcome, nearly knocking me down in their delight at seeing me, brings tears to my eyes.

The days fly by and my engagement party descends upon me with unexpected speed. 

I am far more excited at the prospect of seeing my home again than meeting my fiance. I am still piqued by his neglect; he might at least have come to see me. I had been further mortified to receive a printed invitation card for the party, with the information typed on it that a car would be sent to fetch me, and I would be expected to stay the night. He could not even trouble himself to call me on my phone - since Mr. Prescott has my number, it would surely have been no trouble to get it from the lawyer.

But there is nothing from him, not even a gift of the long anticipated ring. 

I am beginning to feel apprehensive about the evening. 

We are actually going to meet at long last, and how would he welcome me? What if he proves to be quite impossible? But, I think, trying to reassure myself, he is after all a Jung, and surely we must have something in common. 

I wonder what he will look like. Elderly, of course, but beyond that I have no idea what he will be like.

Grandfather had always been lean and distinguished-looking, even in old age, and I fervently hope he will take after him.

I stare at my reflection in the mirror.

I am wearing a form-fitting silvery gown that drops almost to my ankles. Tiny sequins catch the light and shimmer like stars when I turn. My only adornment is my charm bracelet.

My long straight hair falls in soft waves over my shoulders, and my face looks very pale, and my eyes huge in the mirror. My arms and neck are almost white in the silvery light.  I carefully shade my eyes, and look into them. They look vulnerable, uncertain. What I would give to look older, enigmatic, mysterious. I sigh. I run a pale pink lipstick over my mouth, and slip into a pair of silvery heels.

I take my silvery clutch purse, and walk out to gasps from Carey and Mary, and David exclaims, "Ooh, Yiseul, you look like the Snow Queen!" making me wince. The last person I want to be reminded of at this moment is Caspian.

The low, sleek car that comes to fetch me is another reminder of all that I want to forget, for it is of the same make and colour as the one Caspian had owned, and had driven me and Alistair and Chloe in to Geneva, that enchanted evening, the car that he had driven me in to the little Chinese bar tucked in that dark alley, the car that he had driven me back in, his hand warm on mine, the night when we said goodbye. 

The chauffeur is unknown to me, a stranger like Cousin Mark, and bows to me, opening the car door respectfully for me. Since I am to spend the night and return next morning, I have packed a case with a change of clothes and my night things. He takes it from me ceremoniously to put in the boot, as I get into the car. 

I wish for a moment that he is in there, this stranger that I am pledged to, but of course he is not, he is never there. The chauffeur closes the door, and I lean back into the dark and plush leather seats, the car starts, and we are away, speeding silently and swiftly into the twilight, and my journey into the unknown begins, at the end of which my fiance whom I do not know waits for me.

Soon we turn off the main road into the winding lanes that lead towards the Manor, and the familiar sights drive all thoughts from my mind. It is not yet dark and the dusky September twilight reveals every well-loved landmark, recalling memories of my childhood and my grandfather. The car slips past the farms, and soon, the little church with its squat square tower comes into view, with the cluster of whitewashed cottages around it.

Finally the car turns into the drive, and my beloved Ravenscrag appears in front of me, and I choke back a sob. I miss you. How I have missed you. And I think of Grandfather, and the tears threaten to spill. 

Grandfather, I wish you were here. 

Grandfather, I am so afraid. 

Grandfather, I am so alone.

Every window is ablaze with light, streaming out between the undrawn curtains into the fading dusk. There is a sea of cars parked in the drive, huge, expensive-looking, gleaming in the orange and red glow of the setting sun. Cousin Mark must be entertaining all the neighbourhood that Grandfather had snubbed in his entire lifetime. 

I brace my shoulders, and touch my charm bracelet.

This is it, Yiseul.

Finally I will meet Cousin Mark.