You So Like Me

"I know, the interviewers had no idea." I start to tip over in my chair laughing.

"So, how long will you be in the game?" Grover looks at both of us waiting for an answer.

"Um, as long as he needs me I guess. As soon as he's confident in whoever is left he'll eliminate me."

"Yeah. As soon as I'm sure." He looks me right in the eyes then down at his lunch. "Well, as much fun as this has been, we've all got jobs to do."

"Sadly, I have to get back to my garden. I don't think that we'll see each other again until I get to interview you to see if you're good enough for my best friend." He winks at me. "Let's try to do lunch first though. Maybe sneak me in on one of your dates. Ow, what was that for?" He turns to Percy who mouths something I can't make out.

"Well, I'll let you to have some alone time." I stand up and start to leave when Percy shouts.

"Wait, uh bye Grover, let me walk you Annabeth." He runs up to me. As we enter the palace and walk up the stairs we chat about random things like how Grover totally has a crush on Juniper and how Hestia's sandwich platter was perfect. "I know you and I haven't really talked about what it will mean to have you in the Selection but I had a thought. Um, I know we are supposed to use the dates to talk about the 'stuff', but maybe it would be fun to have some real dates."

"What?" I turn and look at him.

"I mean, uh, nothing puts strain on a friendship like the Selection. So, why not enjoy ourselves." I'm a little caught off guard but it's true. Plus Sally said I was supposed to use the dates to my advantage.

"I'd love to, Perce." That earns me a big smile.

"So I was thinking that we could do late night movies, or swimming at the beach. Or we could-"

"Someone was gone for a while." Luke laughs from my door.

"Luke, hey, what are you doing here." He stops dead in his tracks and loses his smile. "I mean, I thought you were stationed out of the country?"

"He got moved back. Now he's my guard. Isn't that cool, just like old times." Luke gives him a smirk and walks over wrapping his arm around my shoulder.

"Yep, just like old times. Isn't that great, oh what was it that we used to call you, Seaweed Brain?"

"Sorry, only Annabeth can call me that." He looks down. "Hey Annabeth, can I talk to you for a second? In private?"

"Yeah," we walk out of earshot. "What do you need."

"If you and Luke are together we need to make a plan because we can't risk you two getting caught and-"

"Percy, Luke and I aren't together. He's just my guard and old friend."

"Really," he looks over my shoulder and frowns. "I think I should get going. I'm gonna go watch the interviews in my room." He starts to walk away but I grab his arm.

"How about we watch them together? We can hang out in your room and have some snacks." This time he smiles over my shoulder.

"That sounds great. Come on." He grabs my hand and starts pulling me across the hallway to his room. "Hey Meredith." He waves over one of the maids. "Can you have Hestia make us some snacks?"

"Sure Prince Percy." She blushes and rushes down to the kitchen.

"Make yourself comfortable, I'm gonna set up the TV."

"Ok, I'm gonna put on one of your shirts." I walk into his closet and grab one of his pajama shirts. I take off my dress and start to put on the shirt when Percy yelps. I turn and look at him.