15th March 1352

15th March 1352

Salutations friend,

It has been exactly a year that I have been writing now. My mother passed the morning of my 17th birthday and Samuel isn't looking too good anymore. I'm really worried about him and I don't know what to do for him. My mother is sitting slumped in one corner of the room and my father is sitting slumped in another corner, they bring tears to my eyes as I'm trying to sleep at night. The nurse came around a couple of days ago to see if we were still alive, she acted disgusted but I could see the sympathy in her eyes. My buboes are going down, and puss is going everywhere, it's a miracle. It looks like I am almost cured of the disease, almost. I am trying a few things on Samuel's buboes to make them go down, because I don't want to be alone in the world. If I survive I need him with me. As I write this, he is sleeping, with soft snores and tiny shallow breaths. I haven't tried aromatherapy yet. I got the nurse to bring some fresh herbs for me to burn for Sam. I'm burning them now and it is making his breathing a bit better. I have even taken to using some of the crazy treatments such as rotten treacle and washing ourselves in urine, however I must draw the line somewhere, and I have drawn the line at smearing myself or Samuel in each other's poo and moving to a sewer. Although I doubt that we'd be able to get out of the house to get to a sewer anyway. All I that I can do to take up the time in imprisonment is write, wait, write and wait. All I am doing is waiting, as far as I know, it isn't possible to avoid the plague, but I'm not going to think like that.

All that I can do is hope and pray that Samuel will make it, even if I don't.

Maven Ella Gael