Chapter 1

Katniss pov

My daughter Lily, who is now 13, went under the fence with me for the first time today. I grab my bow and Gales quiver out of the hollow tree trunk and take her a bit deeper into the woods to retrieve my very first bow out of a different hollow log. I hand it to her and she smiles. I strap Gales quiver onto her back and take her to my over look. She used my mockingjay bow and did target practice in our cellar. I don't need to teach her much. I look off into the distance and see a deer,

"Lily, shoot."

She looks at me and nervously stands up. I know that she can do it. She had been practicing years now. She pulls back the bowstring and let's the arrow fly.

Lily pov

I let go of the arrow and pierce the deer right in the eye. I remember my dad telling me that mom always shot game like that. I can't believe it. Maybe I will be as amazing as my mom some day. Mom gives me a nod of approval. I wonder why she isn't more supportive. But then I look behind her and see a pack of wild dogs. I stuff the deer into my moms game bag and we run. She runs I front of me and we duck under the fence. Wow that was close. we make our way to town square and sell half of the deer to the butcher and give the other half to a family in the seam. Mom says that she does that because she was once in their position, and knowing how to hunt helped but other kids don't have that opportunity. We then stop by dads bakery and as soon as we open the doors I hear childish screams of joy from behind the counter.

"Willow?" I say

As if on que my sister comes out of the back covered in flour.

"Want a hug?" She smirks.

I hear the door creak behind me and see my little brother Rye. Then I am covered in flour.

I hear the twins childish giggles as I wipe flour out of my eyes. I stand up looking like the abominable snowman and say,

"Hey Willow! want a hug?"

I hear her scream and chase her back to our house in the victors village. She beats me to the door and slams it in my face. When I reach the door I hear a click. I jiggle the door knob and realized that I have been outsmarted by a five yearold.