Untitled Part 5

Vanashree noticed that off late her father seemed to lose his patience with Kran. She felt bad hearing her father scold her brother, but she told herself that Kran deserved those after she came to know the reasons. Fourteen-year-old Sudhanshu Narayan Krantikari, popularly known as Kran, was good in studies and sports but nowadays he seemed to be careless and moody which was enough to earn their father's wrath.

By the time Vanashree freshened up, she saw that Kran was taking off his shoes. He picked up his bag and went straight to his table where he placed his bag with a loud thump.

With her father in the kitchen getting some bread toasted with butter, Vanashree helped him by pouring three glass of milk. She got the glass outside to the living room and her father followed her with the bread. Wiping his forehead and bald pate with a towel, he sat down on the large cane chair and called out, "Sudhanshu, if you have changed and freshened up, you can join us. The milk is getting cold and Vanashree looks like she is hungry enough to finish your bread." He added the last bit lightly and winked at Vanashree.

Kran too seemed to have changed his mood along with his clothes and joined his father and sister in the living room. Grabbing two slices of bread from the plate and chewing off a mouthful, he sat down.

"No, Papa. She is too small and tiny to have all these," he laughed and looked at Vanashree to see her reaction to his teasing.

For once, Vanashree did not get angry and was thankful for the light banter instead of a moody and angry father and brother.

"Sudhanshu, do you know that a new boy has joined Vanashree's class today? His past academic reports are excellent and he is a good sportsperson. Vanashree heard his accent; it was very good. You all can learn from him," Mr. Jha said, looking at both his children.

Peter again. He seemed to have followed her home also with his wind-blown brown hair.

"Yes, I heard Papa. Vanashree can learn all the English from him," Kran glancing at Vanashree on his right with one brow raised – maybe mockingly or teasingly.

Their father continued, "Yes, all of you can learn something from each other. You can play together and learn some of his skills on field apart from his English."

The rest of the day went by and Vanashree found herself thinking about Peter when she was getting ready for bed snugly inside the covers. She remembered the first look of him when he stood at the doorway that morning. Suddenly, she felt shy as if Peter was standing in front of her in her room.

"Are you tucked in properly? Shall I switch off the light now?" Her father's voice crashed into her sweet thoughts.

"Yes. You can switch it off now. But don't leave the door open completely. Leave it shut." Although scared to be alone in her room, Vanashree felt the need for some privacy from her family members for the first time.