Untitled Part 7

A loud noise from the kitchen jarred the sixty year-old Vanashree's thoughts, dragging her away from the memories of her childhood. She looked around, half expecting to see Peter's questioning eyes, silently urging her to continue with the lesson. She shook her head, roused herself and sat on the chair, placing Shail's photograph back on the table.

"I have been standing for too long," she thought to herself.

Her feet were numb and she could feel her muscles starting to cramp.

She stood up after few minutes and wiggling her toes, she stepped towards the kitchen. She saw the milk vessel on the floor with a cat licking away at the spilled milk.

"Shoo! Shoo! Shoo!" she cried and tried to chase the black cat away, brandishing a broom in her hand.

After a little nudging with the broom, the black cat sprang away through the window and Vanashree got down to cleaning the mess on the floor.

"I told Shail not to indulge the cat so much. Now the cat will come for its milk here even after Shail has left Bhramarpur," Vanashree muttered to herself in the empty house.

"Vanashree! Shail!" A voice called out. Vanashree left the mess and wiping her hands on a rag, went outside. Masterji was there.

Manoj Verma, called Masterji, was the tutor and Shail's only teacher since she was a child; he was standing near the steps. He was their neighbor.

"Masterji, Shail left for Mumbai last night. She will be reaching there tomorrow morning," explained Vanashree.

"Really? I thought she was leaving today. Anyway, she will be fine. You don't have to worry. And if you need anything, I can always help you," He said, lowering himself on the small bench outside.

"I am thankful to Ma Durga for her blessings. You came as a messenger from God to us. Without your guidance, Shail could never have dreamt of achieving anything," Vanashree said standing at the doorway pushing away stray hair from her face.

For a moment, Masterji kept looking at her. The Masterji still found her beautiful. He could not understand why a beautiful woman like her had decided to spend her life alone. He caught her eye then abashedly averted his gaze and said, "I did nothing. She was intelligent enough to crack the IBPS. I would love to talk with her after she settles down there."

They chatted for a few more minutes, reminiscing about Shail's unconventional education, and then he left. Vanashree went straight back to the kitchen to resume cleaning the floor. The black cat had returned and was looking inside the kitchen perched on the window sill.

"Shoo! Shoo!" It jumped off without needing further prodding.

"Shail loved to have a glass of milk before going to bed. How I wish I could give her a glass now," Vanashree knelt, wiping the floor accompanied by these wistful thoughts.