Untitled Part 25

In her 94 years, Olivia had many chances to think over the chain of events and decisions that played a pivotal role in the future of her family, or what remained of it. To start with, there was no reason to keep Peter from attending a good school run by a close family friend, and Magnolia was not sent to the same school for the simple reason that she loved riding and could not bear to be away from her favorite brown pony, Magnus—a gift from her father on her 10th birthday. Magnolia and her father went for polo matches and played golf together even when Olivia could not join them, and Sid's fondness for his daughter was also another reason that she was not sent away. So, it happened that little Peter was sent away to Nature's Heart School and his family went to visit him during holidays. A few days stay at Napier's "Chalet" was inevitable for the family as Olivia and Sid liked the break from work to be with the family at this quaint little place with lush green surroundings. Sometimes the stay would be for as long as a couple of weeks and initially Edith would join them. But later on, she would stay back at Calcutta saying that her knees could not cope with the traveling.

Napier owned a beautiful black thoroughbred named Trotty, who was a favorite of Magnolia since their first visit, so Trotty was Magnolia's for the duration of their stay at the Chalet. Magnolia was her usual chirpy best since her childhood, but after the second visit to the Chalet she preferred to roam alone, telling her family that she had found a friend and any reason to dissuade her from venturing outside the Chalet alone would be met with, "I am a big girl now and I have kung-fu and boxing training with me. And this is not even Calcutta where everybody knows us as the Freelands. Here, in this small place, people don't even bother if my father owns a rickshaw or a car. I know nobody would hurt me here." Olivia and Sid were confident of their teenaged daughter's safety as Napier himself vouched for the good nature and kindliness of the tribal people who inhabited the thick forests surrounding the Chalet. There was no reason to worry and there was no sign of any incoming danger as well. Peter used to accompany Magnolia on many trekking visits outside the estate, and he would tell the stories of their visit to the Adivasi(tribal)villages when they came back.

After one such visit with Magnolia, Peter was telling his parents about his day's escapades at the dining table. He was excited about a friend he had made at the village, an Adivasi boy, older to him and about the same age as Magnolia. A visibly excited Peter was speaking fast, "Orong killed a tiger with his kulhari and he was so quick that he struck the tiger on its head and the poor tiger did not even get a chance to attack or move at all. The tiger could not even touch the goat tied at the backyard and he was dead!" Peter had stopped eating and instead, he stood up and said, "Mama, don't you think that Orong is very brave? Even Magnolia says that he was very brave to kill a tiger himself. I want to be like him, very brave."

That was a trifling incident that did not appear to have any significance to Olivia or Sid, as they did not foresee any danger to their children. They were stories after all, and the village or its people seemed concerned with their simple rustic life only. Orong was not perfect enough to inspire others, either by his looks or his education. But he was smart enough for others to get inspired by how he dealt with his imperfections. That was not the only thing that made him attractive. He was also bold, brave, confident and competent enough to deal with any obstacles in front of him.

On one of their visits, one before the last one, Peter and Magnolia used to go around the estate and the Adivasi villages just likebefore. The only difference now was that Magnolia seemed to have taken a liking to the place. She wanted her parents to make plans to stay there for a longer duration. And her parents thought she was merely charmed by the simplicity and freedom during holidays.

Everything came to a stop in 1969. Sid, Olivia and Magnolia arrived at the Chalet in the morning and they were going to meet Peter the next day for his birthday. Sid and Olivia were resting in the big sitting room after a hearty breakfast when Magnolia burst inside pleading to go outside, "Mama, I don't want to rest now. It is such a lovely day and I want to go out exploring the old places." On receiving a stern look from Olivia, Magnolia turned to her father, "Please Papa, Please. I promise I won't go far and I'll be back before lunch time." Before Sid could say anything, Napier interrupted from the doorway, "Magnolia dear, come with me. I am going down to the villages for some work and your parents can rest without you bothering them." Sid and Olivia saw a happy Magnolia trotting behind her favorite "Charles uncle" as they sank back comfortably in their large cushioned chairs.