work begins for shail

While Olivia was thinking about her granddaughter, Shail got placed with the bank. Shail had to report to the zonal authorities at Fraser Road, Patna, and from there she was directed to join the Begusarai branch of the East India Bank. She did not have much idea about the place, and the notoriety of the place was the only feature that she could garner from the general conversations during the training period.

"I hope I get my posting in a quiet little place, not somewhere like Begusarai." Aarti Yadav, a short-statured girl from Patna, said.

"Why is it so?" Shail could not stop herself from asking.

"The place is boring. But more than that, the abundance of criminals in the place may make your life a living hell,"Aarti replied, rolling her eyes dramatically.

"Pray that you are not posted there," Paragati Mishra, a stylish girl, said with a loud laugh.

A number of industrial units dotted the dusty landscape of the place and the scenery unfolding before her as Shailwent to report at the branch office did not disappoint her. I miss my village more than ever seeing the dry and dust of this place, she could not help thinking as she looked around her, watching the countryside pass her by.

She reached the faded green colored branch office at 9.15 a.m. She was shown the way to the manager's office on the ground floor by the friendly guard. The manager, Dinesh Kumar, was a man in his forties who was standing beside the steel rack with a green file in his hand. He nodded as Shail knocked at the door. His checked blue shirt looked like it had not been ironed lately, with creases marring the cloth throughout. It was in contrast to his greying hair, all combed neatly and not a single strand moved from its place.

"Miss Shail, do sit down and tell me if you have found any lodgings here. You are not from this place?" He looked at her questioningly. He kept standing near his chair with the file still in his hands.

"Yes Sir. I am not from here. I am from Bhramarpur village actually. I'll commute daily from home."

"Ok, that's good. You can join Mr Gaurav Singh in the Credit Department and assist him there. Learn whatever you can because I'll move you to other department after a few weeks."

He looked like he was eager to get back to his work as his eyes dropped to the file again, perusing it.

"Fine Sir," Shail said as she got up from her chair.

"And give me your joining letter." He spoke without looking at her.

Shail went toward the Credit Department after handing over the joining letter. The head, Mr Singh, was shuffling the cushions in his chair when Shail knocked.

"Yes." Looking toward the door, he abruptly said, "Come after five minutes. Let me settle down and get my cabin in order." He mumbled something about uncleanliness and laziness of the peon and the staff as Shail shuffled back to wait outside.

"There is still sometime before you can become a useful PO of this bank. For now, send these letters to the given addresses on this sheet." Shail got her first work assigned with these caustic words after she introduced herself to Mr Singh a few minutes later.

Shail enjoyed her time at office and at lunchtime she ate just two biscuits and resumed her work. A message from Olivia surprised her:

"I have already arranged for a car with a driver for your daily commuting from Bhramarpur. I hope the car will be comfortable for you. Look out for the driver. Note down the car number and his phone number."

When the office hour was over, Shail dialed the number given by Olivia as she walked toward Main Road.

"Hello, Madam. Are you outside the bank? Shall I come and pick you up now?

"No, I am not anywhere near the bank. I am about to reach Main Road," she looked around her, "just opposite of...Kishanlal Sweets."

"I'll be there in one minute. Please stay there and don't move from the place."

It was astonishing, how much Olivia had embedded herself into Shail's life, so much so that she had stopped questioning the lady's generosity.

The driver hung up and Shail looked around the place. The street was not so crowded but officegoers could be seen going around the place. The Kishanlal eatery across the road was a well-lit place, and it looked like a very popular eatery on the street. Lots of people were either going in or coming out of its decorated doorway with plants in big pots on either side. A big silver colored car came to an abrupt halt right in front of where she was standing. An aged driver got down and came toward her.

"Madam, I am Hari. I have been instructed to pick you up and drop you home. Please, get inside the car and we will start immediately."

Shail looked at the number plate, it was the one in Olivia's message. She got inside and sat comfortably. She felt grateful and typed a message to Olivia thanking her for the car. She enjoyed the ride and, before she reached home, she was fast asleep.

She went to the Durga Temple first when she reached home, she had to pray and thank the goddess for all the good things that were happening to her and most of all for the angel in her life, Olivia.

A message notification came when she was coming out of the temple:

"Have you reached home safely?"

"Yes, I went to the temple first, so now I am walking toward home. How are you Olivia?"

"I am fine, dear. Ok, you take rest when you reach home."

Shail found her mother waiting outside for her. She looked relieved to see her.

"You told me you would reach home in 5 minutes? I was getting worried, I thought to call Ramuji if you did not turn up in the next 10 minutes."

"I am fine Ma, don't worry about me. I am a big girl now and I can take care of myself. I went to the temple first." But she ran up to her mother anyway, and enfolded her in a tight hug. A few tears dripped down her eyes and got lost in Vanashree's sweet smelling hair. She could hear her mother sniffling too. They had never been apart before this.

Shail received another message from Olivia after a few minutes as she ate some snacks and tea while her mother cooked dinner in the kitchen.

"Shail, I want to donate some amount to the temple in your village. Explore the possibilities for the donation to the temple."

She replied:

"I'll let you know in the morning as I don't know anything about it."

Early in the morning, Shail went to the temple and met the head priest of the temple and the village headman. The headman gave her the account number of the Bhramarpur Durga Temple Trust and in jest added, "Tell your friend to donate something big from a big heart, you see faith also needs some money for maintenance and upkeep."

Hari came to pick her up again on the second day; Shail liked to travel in the spacious car but somehow she felt Olivia was being too generous with her. I should not takeadvantage of her goodness, she thought.